Making GFX clothing textures

Hello there!

A month ago I got request from @syverisadorable to make tutorial about how to make fabric texture on clothing. (yes, i’m internet explorer) Anyway in this tutorial I’m going to explain how to add volume textures on your clothing like this:

Note: This tutorial not about 3D clothing, but about texture bump.

Okay, so let’s start!

1. Add bump.

Add bump node and set its distance value to around 15. You will get something like this:

2. Find any good fabric texture.

Pretty easy, go to any search website, e. g. Google and search something like “Seamless fabric texture”. Or if you’re too lazy, you can use this one:

FabricPlain0147_3_350

Now add this texture node and set “Color Space” to “Non-Color”. Connect Texture Color to Bump Height. You will have something like this:

Your character might look like this now:

3. Add Mapping and Texture Coordinate node.

Okay, so after you added Mapping node, put its Vector to Texture Node Vector like this:

We don’t have to do anything with this node at the moment. Now we should add Texture Coordinate node. Put UV into Vector like this:

Now change Mapping’s Scale. If you will change value over 1, then texture will be more little, if below than 1 - bigger. I used 10 value:

You can play around with values and see which will be best for you.

4. Separate clothing.

The last and the hardest step. We should separate skin by clothing. You can make 3d clothing by @SoftGB’s tutorial and on clothing’s material put bump. But If you aren’t going to use 3D clothing I’m going to explain how to make it without cloth.

1. Open texture in photoshop or something like that.

Open your texture in photoshop and select skin by color selector like this:

Now delete everything that is under selection and save as another texture.

1. Add clothing texture into nodes.

Now add new texture into nodes and put Texture Color into Bump’s Distance like this:

1. Make another material to head.

Duplicate head’s material. You can do this by creating new material and copy nodes from other body parts’ material. In head’s material remove Bump’s thread like this:

In the final you should get something like this:

You can make any parts having or not having bump by deleting unnecessary parts in photoshop. Hope you liked my tutorial.

If you have any questions or issues reply on this post. Show your GFX by tagging me on DevForum or Twitter (@Lie_StarIsChill). I’m gonna give you some positive feedbacks or retweet. Feedbacks on my first tutorial are very appreciated. Character used: @0Vanify. Goodluck! :blush:

27 Likes

Well done my friend. H

Helped understand nodes better

2 Likes