Making Large Terrain for Open World Game

I am currently working on an open-world survival game with RPG aspects. I have been trying these past few months to create a large and realistic map with believable terrain, but none of my results have satisfied me.

I have tried using Gaea by Quadspinner and following this guide:(Large-Scale Roblox Terrain: The ultimate guide).
I was unsatisfied with the end result as it did not look believable or appealing to explore.

Basically, I am looking for a way to create a map which is:

• Large and enjoyable to explore
  • Realistic and appealing to players
  • Set in the arctic biome (snow and mountains)
  • Well-optimized for roblox

Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated!!!

2 Likes

Try researching online for different kinds of snow and mountain images.
Don’t just look at a picture of a mountain range, look at closeup images of cliff sides, mountain peaks, ridges, steep slopes, gradual slopes etc. to get a feeling of what you think looks good.
Check out details like how snow sits on different surfaces.

2 Likes

Im currently working on planetary generation and I think the only way to fully customize it your self is by coding it all by yourself.

As you can see terrain is relistic and nice, If you’re interested just learn about perlin noises and for large terrain you should stop and resume the script to prevent time outs

2 Likes

Yes I have tried this before and have used multiple different reference images to get a feel of what I want my game to look like. What my real problem is however is finding a way to actually create the terrain and implement it into Roblox Studio. I tried just using default terrain creation tools from Roblox Studio and even outside programs. Thanks for the tip though!

I’ve just done a quick Google search on perlin noise. Is it safe to assume that perlin noise is similar to heightmaps? And also, how would I use perlin noise to create a large map for my game? Would I import it similarly to heightmaps?

Perlin noise is a math function that returns a number from a range. You would need to create a function to convert the number into terrain, along with implementing many other variables such as biomes, materials, etc, so it doesnt look repeated.

1 Like

Alright I’ll search around for any YouTube videos or articles regarding this method of creating terrain. I won’t mark this as the solution yet though as I am still working on finding one.

So I’ve just marked this as the solution as it has helped me envision a way to create what I am looking for through perlin noise. I just need to figure out how to convert the perlin noise into voxel terrain and how to create mountains and unique biomes. I will be making another discussion on this topic, but I really appreciate you bringing the concept to my knowledge! :slight_smile:

1 Like