Making text images clearer (currently slightly fuzzy)

I’m currently messing with images for text, but having trouble with trying to scale them without getting a blur. It’s hard to notice, but I notice it. They look kinda blurry. I’m mainly talking about the Featured and Trails text. Is there something I should be doing to make them less blurry?

I tried increasing the size of them in Paint.net (their font size is 144) as it’s best to make something big smaller than something small bigger. I know if I set their sizes to be offset and have it set to their image sizes then there would be no blur, but that would be a massive problem with trying to make them readable on mobile as well as XBOX. So in other words, they must be scaled. I’m not gonna do 4-5 different sizes for the same text and just check if they are on mobile, xbox, etc. Should automatically scale, yet still look nice. I’ve seen games in the past do this but I’ve tried everything. Please help :weary:

2 Likes

Images will only be sharp if you display them at the original resolution.

I’d recommend either creating multiple versions (but as you said that would be quite tedious), or perhaps use ordinary TextLabels instead?

1 Like

I managed to do some more mucking around and was messing with the ScaleType. Setting it to ‘Crop’ or ‘Fit’ seems to make it look really clear and crisp. Just takes some editing of the sizes, etc.

2 Likes

Glad that worked!

Might be worth switching to TextLabels in the long run though, because it will be much easier to automatically scale, change or localize the interfaces if you’d ever want to do that. But it all depends on the style you are going for.

1 Like

Only problem is the limited Fonts available for TextLabels. If Roblox enabled developers to add their own fonts then this wouldn’t be an issue, but until then :man_shrugging:

I know there is a font folder in the directory, and I have tried inserting the font file into that folder, but nothing is created in studio. I tried also deleting one of their fonts and renaming my font to the deleted font, also did nothing.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a trade-off between aesthetics and functionality.

Unfortunately you can’t add custom fonts at the moment.

2 Likes

Yea :confused:

As for localising, last time I localised I didn’t see much (or if any at all) change in player counts, so just seemed like a massive waste of money on a translator.

The old YY frame in XX frame trick. What does that achieve again?

1 Like

Ah right, that’s what aspect ratio is supposed to be fixed. Never seem to figure out how to control that though.

Yea I have no clue how to use those, so I just stick to this

Managing my whole gui with the table layout seems to really pay off.

Oh wow, I never thought about that :thinking:

1 Like