Making VFX - How do I get started?

Hey y’all! I am making a game with a bit of a cartoony style and I reached the point where I should start polishing it up! I would like to learn to make decent particle effects, especially within the cartoony style, however I have no direction as to where to learn, get examples to try to replicate, etc.

How do I get started?

devforum is getting ignorant

You can look up some tutorials, but heres one for me to make a sphere (i’m not saying the real word.)
Get a sphere, press E to edit, add a vertex group,press A, then press “Assign”, tab out by clicking Edit Mode > Object Mode, go to Modifers, add Vertex Weight Edit, go to Custom Curve and scale it down to the opposite of whats there. After that, make a texture, press whatever you what (recommending clouds), play around with the settings, apply the texture as the texture for VertexWeightEdit, add a Mask modifer, press the vertex group to the one you just did, play around with “Influence”, add a “Smooth” modifer, play around with it, and then add Simple Deform. Go to materials, and texture it however you like. Hope this helped!

2 Likes