Malformed data issues inside Roblox Studio [TUTORIAL 2021]

You’ve lost all your work…

Roblox has presented you this fabulous message: thistha

If you’re experiencing such issues, it is guaranteed that you will lose a few hours of progress. These kinds of problems are usually presented to users unexpectedly and there’s not really anything you can do to prevent them, if I’m correct.

How to fix the following issue

You’re furious, disappointed, and need help. You’ve most likely already checked multiple developer forum threads, none of them talking about a solution which would suit you.

It seems like you’re a Windows 7+ user! Well… you’re in luck.
By default, Windows creates “Previous Versions” of all existing files. Basically… A backup of your entire computer. These backups are usually created in-case a virus has spreaded across your device, and you require a virus-free state of it.

Just now… you’re able to use it for your own advantage. The System Restore creates one backup for each day of your computer usage, usually saving 4 backups at once. Meaning… You have had 4 days to find this thread. If that 4 days isn’t up yet, continue on…

To access your restored files, all you need to do is…

• Step 1. Open your Windows Panel
  • Step 2. Click on “Computer”.
  • Step 3. Continue by clicking on your Local Disk, Users and choosing the user under which your Roblox Studio file is located under.

• Step 4-1. Right click your user, find the “Previous versions” tab and wait. It should present you 4 different versions with the date it was last saved on.
  • Step 4-2. To reduce the loading time, open your user and find the section your file was saved under. For me, it was my Desktop. Then… follow the same procedure presented under 4-1.
    Desktopthingy

And there you go… Once you’ve opened the older version, located your file, copy-and-paste it to anywhere you want and you’re good to go! You did lose some of your work, but you retrieved a lot of it.
JUST DO NOT CLICK ON “Restore…”, because reverting back to an older version will remove important files and changes made to your other projects after the last save.

And that’s pretty much it. I’m not certain that Mac has such features enabled by default, but you could give it a try over there as well. Otherwise… I do hope that this tutorial worked for you. If you’ve got any more questions, feel free to reply.

• The tutorial worked. I got my project back easily.
  • I experienced minor issues, while trying to retrieve my files via this tutorial.
  • I couldn’t retrieve my files.

0 voters

3 Likes

Great step-by-step tutorial for those who have lost their files! However, isn’t there a folder in Documents called Roblox and it has the Autosaves folder in there?

P.S. Move the poll out of the details and fix the poll.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help going over the poll. First time creating some kind of tutorial :slight_smile:
That’s correct. Roblox does auto save, though it usually removes them in a few hours to save space for future ones, at least for me.
In this case, these auto saves won’t be that useful, since it’s usually too late to retireve them. You’ll only get notified of the issue once you revisit Roblox Studio.

OR!
If you’re lucky, you could use this tutorial for the Roblox folder under Documents instead of searching for the specific file, as you said.

1 Like

Great tutorial for those on Windows 7, however I believe backups require manual setup on Windows 10, and also require a separate disk to backup to. I’d recommend just using a cloud service (e.g. Google Drive) to save your work, or even save it to Roblox if you can.

Google Drive even has a version history option online, which allows you to revert files to a previous version (as does Roblox).

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback! :heart:
I completely agree that everyone should upload their projects to somewhere. Especially, if Roblox makes it so easy to do so.

And… system backups do require manual approval, even on Windows 7. And… of course, they require seperate disks. I’m a bit confused as well… Some sources state that “File History” doesn’t require other drives, some say that it does.

EDIT:
Hmm… It’s pretty interesting.
Seems like Windows 8+ has a new thing called: “File History” rather than previous versions. Works the same way, just needs an external drive.
More info over here on the Windows 7 one.
Just one more reason, why windows 7 is the best.

1 Like

this doenst work for me, no older versions :frowning:

2 Likes