Mall Tycoon styled game

Hello. I was wondering how I will be able to script a system similar to the game “Mall Tycoon” but using Zednov’s Tycoon Kit?

First it will say something like this:

on purchase this will appear:

then builds the selected option:

1 Like

I have never really made a Tycoon game before, but an approach I might take would be storing the pre-made parts maybe in Lighting
And then cloning it, setting its CFrame to that of maybe a blocks origin to signify the zoned area.
And for extra stories, just add an offset up to add a story after cloning the asset.

I have never made a tycoon sort of game, so I don’t know what is best
That would basically be the main piece for creating the building.

For the text hovering above the button, that’s most likely a BillBoardGUI, which you can easily find tutorials for.

I highly reccomend you go watch a tutorial for setting up and scripting a tycoon.

If you still have issues, feel free to reply to me and I will get back when I can, or someone else will help

3 Likes

ok, thanks for replying! will try it out!

1 Like

Hey,
The Developer Forum isn’t really for people to ‘spoon-feed’ you code or tell you how to script something, only help you or solve an issue with your scripts. In the future, I would also suggest you explain your problem in a less vague way as some people may not understand what you want or need.

Regardless of this, I think your best option would be to use ModuleScripts or use an Attribute which is connected to your button object, and when pressed, fires a ‘purchase’ signal which then places down the selected store.
This is a very barebones and short explanation of how you may want to approach this, but I hope it’s what you wanted.

4 Likes

I didn’t say “Make a system for me” so I’m not asking for a ‘spoon-feed’. Other than that I will take your advice and start researching. Thanks!

1 Like

Using a tycoon kit is likely not in your best interest for this, as this mechanic is entirely custom made. The tycoon kit might not be built to support this kind of modification. If you do insist on using the kit, I’d recommend forking parts of it (specifically the parts that handle pressing the buttons to placing a building) and making them cause a pop-up UI instead that allows the user to select their shop type. The script would then wait for the player to make a choice before placing whichever building they chose.

If the kit is made really well, chances are there’s code that handles pressing a button, fetching the model the button is related to, and then placing that specific model. If you can just replace the part where it finds the model the button is related to with the stuff I mentioned earlier, that should be most of it done. Of course depending on the kit you’d have to code more stuff, but that should outline the basics.

2 Likes

That’s amazing. Definitely trying it