Manually setting some Package's position marks it as 'Modified'

I just tried Packages, and while the first package I created could be moved fine by either the Move tool or Properties panel, when I made a second package I found translating it with the Move tool worked appropriately, but setting the actual position of the package via it’s Properties panel immediately marks the package as ‘Modified’.

I tried searching this issue up, as it seems like everyone should be experiencing it, but I didn’t seem to find any relevant results.

Expected behavior

When setting the Position & Orientation of a Model Package, it should move like normal and not prompt it as ‘Modified’.

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting, we will look into it!

3 Likes

If you want, I can provide the package in question. This isn’t an issue that was fixed with anything like re-opening studio, and occurs on all instances of the package, though I’m not sure what the result would be if someone else tried to load the package.

I’ve attempted to upload the package in question, which still, even through un-packaging and re-packaging into another test package, will not let me alter it’s position without being marked as modified.

But, when trying to make it accessible, I get “Unknown error. Please try again later.”.

So this is practically a double bug now, a bug ontop of a bug. I can’t even present the package to you in a way that let’s you easily test it. I can try sending the model itself, if someone else packaging it might also inherit the same issue. Still not sure what the deal is, since other packages let me modify position fine.

I do want to make it particularly clear that this is actually a bit of a big issue - I am trying to make a nested package, with a light fixture package holding 2 tube light packages.

I can’t actually align the tubes manually to fit into the light fixtures, though.
I at best can get it close with the move tools, but really I would like to just snap them via the property editor simply.

I guess I could run code in the commandbar to position them? But I haven’t tested that yet and for all I know that will trigger the Modified status again…

Could you DM me the content? (saving it as an rbxm file should work)

Also, could you try the same thing with a basic package that’s just a couple of parts and see if that works?

I would not expect you to run into an issue doing this (the draggers and the properties panel call the exact same API underneath in this case), and it works fine for me trying it out.

Every time I think this situation can’t get any weirder, it does. Roblox is very, very strange with package handling…

I deleted the package link, and uploaded it as a model.
When I click “Try in studio” on the web page for the Model, what it inserts into studio is a … Package.

But of course inserting the model normally does not do this…

Does…Does roblox convert things into a package specifically when the ‘try in studio’ button is clicked?
I thought Packages were seperately-uploaded/published, so the fact Studio is auto-generating a package when inserting this as a model (but seemingly only from the website) is just leading to all sorts of confusing…

I’ll DM you the model, though. If you insert it via the button on the website, apparently it’ll automagically be in Package mode (despite not being published as a package), and should have the same bug of not being able to have it’s model’s position value modified any.

Also, could you try the same thing with a basic package that’s just a couple of parts and see if that works?

The package as it stands is not very complex at all. A part and a few unions.
The other more complex package I made around the same time is fine, and can be manipulated like normal. Infact, this package in question is meant to be fit into the other package I made, which is why this is so unfortunate.

EDIT:
Upon inserting the model again via the method described before, it is now inserted as a regular model. The only thing that has changed is a few minutes have gone by.
The PackageLink even had the correct asset ID for the model I uploaded, so it’s not like I was confused before - the model was straight up loading as a package a few times I inserted it via the try in studio button. What on earth!

I’m getting sooo many bugs with packages.

I’ve noticed, for a different package, that it becomes “modified” when I press play.

Like. I’ll publish the changes to the package, it’ll be fine, but as I press play in studio, I can see in Explorer the modified exclamation point appears, as the play mode is loading in.

Very strange! I pretty much constantly get random false-error modified interactions like this. It really happens more often than it doesn’t.

Also- OOP! Some unknown third issue, ohboy!

Cleaning up the backlog. This post is old enough that any number of updates may have affected / fixed the bug.

If it somehow is still occurring, please upload a copy of the package content and we’ll re-open the investigation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.