Many users see incorrect textures on SurfaceAppearances throughout experience

Reproduction Steps
Happens here, but according to reports it happens in other games too.

It’s been 5 months and I haven’t been able to find a repro. It happens randomly on many devices. It’s happened to me one time in studio on my PC, and a few times on my android phone. I have received dozens of bug reports related to this from various users on various devices. Most users seem to have experienced it at one point. It seems to be a problem with how PBR textures are indexed in memory; The texture changes with angle and distance, which is likely due to the engine trying to change mipmaps. The incorrect textures are from loaded roblox-material textures, SpecialMesh textures, and SurfaceAppearance textures. The textures are all jumbled, it’s game breaking, and it’s scary for young users.

Expected Behavior
The SurfaceAppearances should display normally.

Actual Behavior
They display the wrong texture, which flickers depending on the camera’s location. (The dragon characters use 4+ individual textures to achieve an acceptable texture quality/resolution, which is why half of the character is sometimes glitched.)

Studio occurrence for me 2021-05-17:

20210517_144901_300_RobloxPlayerBeta

First user report 2021-08-28

Happened to me on android phone 2021-07-02 (trees became dandelions)

Changes based on angle:

Various user reports over the last 5 months

Latest user report 2021-09-01

Workaround
Rejoining the game resets it.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Sometimes
Date First Experienced: 2021-04-16 22:04:00 (-07:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-09-01 16:09:00 (-07:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

15 Likes

This has been a bug in my game too for a while. The texture is constantly changing as the camera & character are moving. It looks almost as seem like they are reflecting of nearby pbr/textured surfaces.

I happens more frequently now for some unknown reasons.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

@nakata1609 @Tomarty

Hi! Is this issue still occurring? If so, can you provide a link to the experience where it’s occurring? Thanks!

It doesn’t happen anymore. I think it works now since I didn’t get any more bug reports regarding the issues.

1 Like