Map feels empty

my games map just feel kind of… empty? i cant grasp why it is.
note: house model is temporeary + ignore the yellow parts, they’re for one of the games features

8 Likes

Static worlds tend to feel very lonely, you can take a look at WindShake to add some movement into your trees and grass parts, you might also want to look at adding some mild environmental conditions (e.g. light snowfall, just move a large intangible invisible part to the camera’s position with a snow particle emitter as a simple solution, or look at buildthomas’ rain module and see if you can tweak the images and parameters to look more like snow if you need roof occlusion). If it suits your world, you could think about NPCs, distant birds in the sky, and environmental sounds (e.g. occasional bird sounds, wind, trees rustling), audio does a lot of heavy lifting and we just never notice it until it’s missing.

As far as content goes, I think you’ve done sufficient decorating. You probably just need to breathe some life into it.

7 Likes

To start off I enjoy the different sizes of the tress I think it helps make it feel less empty, it is a great start. I noticed the single candy cane within the background, I think a few more around the map can help tie that into the world better. The mountain background itself seems to be lacking a bit to me, it does have a few trees on top however I feel maybe a cave or an igloo on top might add that feel within the background you are looking for. I think what you have looks great there are many things you can build off of, maybe a few cabins within the mountains as well.

3 Likes

ok ngl, i forgot the candy cane was there, thanks!

1 Like

thanks! i forgot about the environmental audio part.
i’m already using windshake and i love it

1 Like

Looks pretty good to me.
The only suggestion I have is to vary the size of the hills a little bit. The similar size makes it seem unrealistic.
It’s hard to tell from the image, but the mountains seem to be different sizes. If they aren’t then maybe vary their size too.

2 Likes

Hey I just found something, I am a pretty new but how about you add little snow particles so it feels more “snowy”. What do you think about that?

1 Like

It could use more elevation change. Being able to look directly at the end of the map isn’t very nice. Adding atmosphere could also help.

4 Likes

i’ve updated the map and lightning a bit now, i think that it looks a lot better, thanks everyone!

3 Likes

No problem: happy to help you!!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.