Map size limit?

I haven’t made a map because I wish to know how big a map in Roblox can be. Is there a limit to the scale of a map? I’ve seen some pretty big maps like Greenville, Ultimate Driving or even Pacifico 2, but both Greenville and Pacifico 2 don’t have a full view of a radar like Ultimate Driving does and it becomes difficult figuring out Roblox’s map size limit.

I picked Champaign by random. Using the image, darken the areas that would be deemed out of bounds, with a visible yellow or any color line as long as it can be seen. The area that isn’t dark would be considered a playable area. I just need a good idea of how big a map like a city could be.

Yes I know I asked this question before. But I didn’t want to necrobump my thread from December 2020 on the same topic since it’s apparently against the rules.

5 Likes

A map of this size would be a difficult build, but could be possible. Your biggest problem would probably be a high part count.

3 Likes

If you got a bunch of time then this is 100% possible, buttt the part of lag comes into fact that the amount of parts this would be would make this real laggy.

3 Likes

@CaptainWeetabix These are my concerns. The lag as well. I can fill in a few spaces with some modeling since I have a low to medium 3d modeling skill, and houses aren’t too hard to do on my level depending on the detail. My other problem is the city’s scale. 30 players and half the city would be dead neighborhoods.

3 Likes

In my opinion there is truly no limit to the size of a map, you just have to watch for lag as it is a major setback when developing a large build, and the only way around it to reduce detail within the game overall.

2 Likes

Hey, I just look at this and noticed there’s no concrete suggestion on how to fight high part counts.

So let me tell you, 2 years later, lol.

Your best bet is to convert high part models into meshparts, and then cleaning them up in a 3D modelling application such as Blender, and then re-importing them to roblox.

I’m also creating something rather large, New York City, so I know why you are asking this. But don’t worry, with the right optimization, you can build anything you want, no matter how large it is :smile:

1 Like

The total map size will be or currently is 32,768x32,768 studs from edge to edge and will be completely made out of Smooth Terrain. There will also be monsters, but I will optimize them so the only spawn when you are in specific area… Yeah. Techinally there is no such thing as “unlimited space”.

2 Likes

There really is no limit to a map, you can make a map any size however the floating point error comes into place (unless you scale it down)