Mario Kart style powerslide/drifting

So for the last couple months I’ve been experimenting on creating a drifting system for my vehicle chassis, itself using springs and constraints for physical wheels. My idea is to use a vector force and have it rotate depending on the steer value of the whilst pushing it in a forward direction however executing this I have no idea where to begin, if anyone could provide me with ways I could that’d be great as I’ve been sitting on this for a while

2 Likes

You’d be applying more outside force than actual physics to the wheels themselves, this would give you that floating effect you’re looking for when initiating a slide!

What if you decrease the Friction and/or Density of the rear wheels and change the center of mass of the car forward or backward ?
That should cause the back of the car to drift more.
If you want a VectorForce for extra speed then have it facing the same direction that the front wheels are pointing.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve already implemented something similar to achieve hopping

I’m sitting here thinking about how we could combine everything together! If we analyze exactly how the vehicles handle in Mario Kart, there’s an apparent curve the player has control over, accounting for slopes to a degree, you can tighten your drift all the way in by braking simultaneously, or extend your drift all the way out, by full-throttle and turning to the outside. The thing that matters most there is consistency and maneuverability!

The car relies on a separate part that handles it’s mass, everything else is massless

1 Like

I know it sounds odd thinking about it this way, but when it enters the drift state, literally make it sail like a boat by any non-gamebreaking means! I found a video that explains one approach! This Youtuber also released the project code on github, using Unity. Mario Kart’s Drifting | Mix and Jam - YouTube

Ended up figuring it out by using Velocities and works pretty nicely

2 Likes

Nice!
Please note your post as the Solution so others can search and find that information here.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.