Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games

Join Masahiro Sakurai, director of several Kirby games and the Super Smash Bros. series, as he reflects on his work in the games industry and offers insightful and easy-to-understand advice about game development.

The goal? To try and help make games around the world a little more fun!

tl;dr You can watch the channel introduction from Sakurai himself:

There is a running joke in my development team that Sakurai lives in our walls. Whenever we’re encountering development or personal problems that are somehow tied to development, there is always a Sakurai video to answer our troubles. And if there isn’t one, a new one is released that addresses our exact problem at the time to a scary convenient degree.

Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games is a YouTube channel run by Masashiro Sakurai which features short videos averaging 2-4 minutes that recounts Sakurai’s experiences with certain topics in game development and offer those experience forward as advice. They are not bulletproof however they are things he found that works and hopes they are of help to any aspiring or even established game developers out there, which very much fits the criteria of Roblox’s developers.

This channel has been very helpful to me throughout a good half of 2023 and all of 2024. All videos break down large, complex topics into digestible 2-4 minute segments with fun and unique graphics to help keep attention. Sometimes I don’t want to read a long book or text wall to try and understand things relevant to my current projects, roles or mindset on development: I want to see something, listen to a succinct explanation and draw from real experiences.

The channel is split into categories which also have playlists for honing in on specific topics:

• Work Ethic
  • Game Essence
  • Planning & Game Design
  • Design Specifics
  • Team Management
  • Graphics
  • Animation
  • Effects
  • Audio
  • UI (User Interface)
  • Programming & Tech
  • Marketing
  • Grab Bag (Wildcard/Misc Category)
  • Game Concepts

Having this YouTube channel on hand to build knowledge of certain parts of game development could, like my own team, be a very helpful resource to have handy, largely on the premise of being able to use real experience to talk about so many nuanced, niche components that bring game development all together, and the video length means finishing them off before getting a chance to tune out.

Finally, this 7 minute video from Sakurai himself best introduces the purpose of the channel and what developers can hope to find by watching the videos.

:tada: :tada: :tada:

9 Likes