Mask/hide birth date in account settings (necessitated by increasing ID verification features)

As a user, I have traditionally filled out an intentionally incorrect birthdate in my settings page so that I don’t need to worry about Roblox storing information about me that an attacker could read in plaintext if they get into my account. I would rather Roblox not intake/show any birthdate if not needed, but unfortunately Roblox requires it.

With Roblox releasing more and more features either guarded by ID verification entirely, or throttled by ID verification, it seems like we are compelled to verify our birthdate. This is fine and all, but this means I can no longer put an inaccurate birthdate in my account and an attacker will be able to extract this information.

For email, you can’t actually see your own email, it is starred out (e.g. a*****@domain.com). It would be great if we could supply something similar for birthdate, either hiding it completely from back-end/front-end, or masking the value in back-end/front-end and requiring a 2FA gate before it can be viewed in plaintext.

This would reduce a hurdle I have related to ID-verifying my account.

This issue could be optionally addressed based on user preference, if not deemed appropriate for all sorts of users.

48 Likes

I feel you the fact that you can barely say some even harmless things in chat, but can’t hide your private info is crazy to me, but maybe they might add it someday.

1 Like