Mass Asset Editing

As a ROBLOX Developer, it is often too hard to keep track of multiple similar looking assets after you bulk upload them, and so it got me thinking about the about easily editable assets.

To try and illustrate the point I’m show you this photo of a Mass File Renamer:

Mass File Renamer

If this issue was then addressed in ROBLOX Studio, it would be a benefit to myself and other developers as it would allow GUI Artists who perhaps use software like Adobe XD who are making multiple screens and they all have default names and if they forget what slide it was supposed to be attached to. This mass renaming of assets, would be beneficial as they wouldn’t forget in this case which photo aligned with which screen.

The limitations of a tool such as this, wouldn’t just be limited to the requirements of GUI Designers, it could also be used during the mass importation of mesh items. Being able to sort and know exactly where each item is required is not yet an easy thing to do unless you do it within the external software. So it would be of some benefit to Builders and Designers as they need to work out quickly what asset’s they are looking for and I believe that can come from an idea like this.

Usage of this could also be so so valuable to people such as 3D Mesh Developers, when you are creating a part within your external software for example Autodesk, Blender or Cinema 4D etc, when you’re creating an item you’re not always sure how things would fit together. Especially seeing how as an example if I created 2 cubes in C4D for example it would say “Cube 101” and “Cube 102” etcetera. This is why this could be so valuable either as a tool window like the asset manager as I’ve shown or maybe just as an extra thing to add to the properties to update the rename filter, as it can allow people to know what goes with what ect as they go through the lengthy process of importing for example a plane if they do it bit by bit and forget what goes where.

Thank you for your time and if you have any other ideas as to how this idea could be modified or expanded. I’d be very excited to hear your thoughts.
Tom Haywood

1 Like