Massive terrain caused crash of roblox studio, broke save functions, and wasted a lot of time

So I was working on the terrain for a massive, open-world game I planned to build. It was based on a heightmap that I had imported. I still have my settings saved from the import, so you guys can check it out.

It was massive.

It consists of two islands, both rather large. The Terrain Size (in cells) was 16001, 16001, 16001 (or something like that - my memory has faded a little bit.) When my script generated the terrain in parts, I converted the parts to terrain. This had worked well, and seemed as if it would work entirely. I had finally finished the terrain after hours of waiting and hard work, and so I went to publish the game to save my work. After the last group of parts was converted, the game did not let me publish. I got an error message, but not the regular red one. It came up with a new window and said something about the roblox servers - I’m not sure exactly, but I remember it wrote the HTML data of the error to the output. From there, I saved a local copy on my computer, and then used Crazyman32’s TerrainSaveLoad plugin/module to save my terrain into a TerrainRegion. Once I had the TerrainRegion, I went to save it to my local drive as a .rbxm. I was greeted with an error appearing that said “bad allocation.” That’s strange, so I assumed it had to do with the way my disk space was allocated, and roblox for some reason cared. So I saved it to an external USB 2TB drive, and I received the same error. I closed out of the error and was floating around thinking about what to do when studio froze and told me I was out of VRAM. I closed some stuff to see if I could recover, but gave up knowing I’d just open up my saved rbxl. Nope. The RBXL saved correctly, but when opened up in studio it brought me to the same workspace, minus the terrain. I’ll attach the RBXL and RBXM to this post.

HeightMapRegion.rbxm (749 Bytes)

RBXL too large for direct attachment, so here’s a drive link.

Check serverStorage for all the parts to the original heightmap import.

3 Likes

The large amounts of terrain crashing a computer are usually dependant on the hardware, so that’s not new. The broken save functions may be due to the amount of data that studio has to write. I can’t test this at all though due to the rbxm file being corrupted and the RBXL link being locked.

Same issue as @Spooks_HD. Please save the models/places as .rbxmx and .rbxlx and send them again.