Material Essentials 1.1

Does it support 2.9? blender at all

This looks well made and cool!

That sounds super good for Roblox textured renders but I don’t feel soo much comfortable about advanced renders

I think so, it works for me in 2.91

are you updating this @maplestick

• Updated to Blender 3.0
  • Added new materials; Glass, Plastic, SmoothPlastic. Glass works best on 1.0 transparency.
  • Added the Reflectance attribute.
  • Added the Transparency attribute.
  • Material textures have been updated to the latest in-game variant.
  • Materials now use tangent space normal maps.
  • Reduced node clutter
  • Improved the brick material’s color accuracy.
  • CorrodedMetal should now function properly.

Download: Blend Swap | ROBLOX Material Essentials v1.1

20 Likes

Oh my god. Yes, I just looked the materials up today randomly, and it says:
1h

I’ve used these materials SO much in my GFX. Glad you updated them!

It’s like this post was meant for me.

1 Like

While this addon speeds up the process of applying materials to exported maps tremendously, there’s still lots of potential to make it more streamlined. Though doing so would require some scripting, which is beyond my capabilities.

Ideally, i want the user to be able to press a button and have blender apply the correct material type and color to all parts of the model. This should absolutely be doable. Roblox exports models with metadata containing all the part colors and associated material textures. If we could make a plugin that reads that information and pastes the node tree in every material it could cut hours of repetitive work into seconds.

If you know how to script in python and you’re interested in this, please let me know.

1 Like

Just curious, how did you get the tangent normal maps out of the materials. Did you generate it from the diffuse data or use the provided normal map that roblox already has?

blender exports the dds normal maps as tangent. i was like “oh neat” and did that to all of them.

Since this is a publicly available, free resource, I feel like this topic belongs in #resources:community-resources.

Other than that, nice job on the materials!

OMGGG YESSSSS THIS IS SO HELPFUL. There are some games where they only want Roblox materials being used and its always such a pain as there are no full pbr texture sets of all the Roblox materials. Idk how i only stumbled upon this now…

You got any knowledge of the reason this suddenly starts crashing since blender 3.1 got released? Each time I attempt to import material, Blender goes boom.

You could just downgrade it if it’s not working on that specific version.

website doesn’t load, possible if you could republish it?

you should make a version for terrain textures :smile:

Probably move this to #resources:community-resources

1 Like