Material Physics, UI Improvements, and Marketplace Materials

I am glad that my idea with “Material Creation Workflow Enhancements” was implemented. Thanks to those who do it! I have an idea to make changes to textures that stand by default from Roblox without making a copy of them

4 Likes

Can the “Categories” of the Toolbox just be made into a ScrollingFrame?
Since Materials are a Category and are right at the bottom this will and already has made it harder than it should be having to rescale the toolbox so us devs can open the category we wish to access if it’s not at the top before the rest get cut off due to no ScrollingFrame functionality.

This is just a minor issue with the toolbox but creates big workflow issues for those who wish to use this toolbox category to find some sweet Custom Materials if that user has no knowledge on how to make them thereself.

9 Likes

I (somehow) saved a copy of early 2012 Roblox and have those assets.

Anyways, is the difference between the original 2020 textures and the PBR ones from the OG 2020 ones using specular-glossiness or whatever format? I would like to use both a mix of old and new materials. I tried mixing them in Substance Designer with no success lol.

4 Likes

Does this mean i can set multiple physical properties like friction and frictionweight for each material on roblox terrain? I currently use a raycast system on my golf game to constantly check what terrain material is below the ball to change the friction properties, which can be too inconsistent for gameplay and a replay feature i want to add.

3 Likes

I think it is quiet cool how you can now find materials in the Marketplace

2 Likes

I can’t give enough thanks to the roblox team for giving us these amazing updates. There are a lot of updates that are super cool, but just fly under the radar. The other day I saw that they added reverse kinematics as a beta feature, and that’s the kind of stuff you only really see in triple A games. Thanks roblox, and keep making awesome updates!

3 Likes

This is something we will support soon.

Update on Oct 12: we’ve released the support for it. Please let us know how it goes.

6 Likes

Awesome updates, any idea if in the future, Materials will be visible under SurfaceAppearance objects that have their AlphaMode set to Overlay?

1 Like

Now would be really awesome if yall could add more terrain materials for overrides or even ability to add more terrain materials for users :wink:

I need lot of custom textured terrain for each zone but i’m limited to overriding only 12 terrain materials (only 12 materials are smooth)

Probably would’ve been best for everyone if it came with this update

6 Likes

when will we get more textures such as emission textures?

3 Likes

Improved UI you say?
Widgets have a little bit of a pixel on the top right corner that isn’t filled.
It’s not that big of a deal, but it’s just annoying to notice it every time I open a plugin or float something.

5 Likes

When will we be available to mix and match terrain with multiple variants? Such as one area with green grass and one with orange grass. Will there also be custom water?

6 Likes

Is there no way to get the old UI back? The new one still makes docked windows that are on top of each other laggy, and some checkboxes have 2 borders.

2 Likes

Any chance we will see alpha/opacity, emissive, height/displacement, specular, or refraction maps?

I really want to see at least alpha/opacity and emissive map support!

6 Likes

here is the problem about setting a price to models and materials
there are lots of exploits that can download these type of assets and when people get them they could easily leak them.
so im 98% sure that roblox wont add funds to assets like these.

4 Likes

My main problem is why Roblox didn’t release the new PBR textures in material service with the older textures which have a value equal to the PBR textures. Because now I have to transfer the old textures to PBR textures. And now Roblox is also putting PBR textures into the marketplace when I could just go to a website and download the textures and not worry about getting viruses into my game or “experience.” Thanks Roblox. :roblox_light:

4 Likes

Love the marketplace addition. This makes it a lot easier to find the materials you want, and organizes the marketplace too. Thank you for this update!

1 Like

I would like to be able to inspect textures in large size
It is difficult to inspect the textures from the Marketplace, you have to put them separately on each part to see if the texture is good

3 Likes

Roblox’s shader source, prior to October 2016, was present in the client in the DirectX HLSL format - from playing and toying around with it, it’s clear that prior to January 2020 (PBR introduction), specular and gloss (or rather, SpecularIntensity and SpecularPower) was the system used for the specular highlight appearance.

If you find a client from around May 2013 (when the shaders were rewritten to support Dynamic Lighting), up until that point in 2016, it might be worth a look just to gain a fuller understanding of how things worked on the rendering side during that time.

2 Likes

Like this update so far. It looks like the studio UI was reverted to the original version as well. Is there any chance we can get the dropdown menu for materials back at some point, maybe just as a toggleable option? The material manager is bulky and detrimental to many of our workflows.

2 Likes