Materials freaking out on big-sized bricks

If a part is too big, the material will become “unstable”. Normally, I’d expect it to be completely still.
It happens every time, on every place. In order to see it you’ll need to scale a part up, preferrably to the limit (2048 x 2048 studs) or more (via a SpecialMesh). The bug seems to appear at certain camera angles only.

This is how it looks like on a 2048 x 2048 baseplate:
material

It gets even weirder when you increase the mesh size with SpecialMesh’s Scale property. This is 10 times the scale of the maximum brick size (so 20480 x 20480):
material1

It affects reflections, even on SmoothPlastic material. In the gif below I’m moving away from a SmoothPlastic baseplate while looking at the sun’s reflection:
sunreflection

I’ve never noticed this until recentlly. I don’t think my hardware matters in here but my graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series.

2 Likes

This is caused by floating point rounding errors from having such a large part. I don’t think bypassing the part size limit using SpecialMesh is an intended feature. Someone on graphics team might chime in and have a better answer, though.

13 Likes