Members (TL1) are able to edit quotes of someone else

Not sure if this behaviour is correct since it can be used maliciously. The bug is exactly what is described as in the title. For clarity sake here’s a rundown.

I have made a post under #forum-help:forum-questions and the below image is a comment someone made regarding my subject. If you ask me, I should not be able to edit the comment, right? Well, for some reason I can.

↓ When I highlight the quote, an edit button appears and I am able to edit the quote.

I am a member (TL1) so I am not sure why I am able to do that, thus the subject of this post and it being in the bug report category. So far, I think I am able to conclude that this behaviour only is replicable when you are the original poster as I was unable to replicate the behaviour on posts that I was not the original poster of.

1 Like

You mean you can edit the quote that’s already in plain text in your own reply, like you’ve always been able to?

I.e.

[quote="goldencowboy, post:1, topic:1632903"]
Not sure if this behaviour is correct since it can be used maliciously. The *bug* is exactly what is described as in the title. For clarity sake here’s a rundown.
[/quote]

Like this?

Quotes are nothing special, they’re just styled text. This is not a bug. You would want to make a feature request with Discourse to have this changed since this would require turning quotes into something a lot more heavy than copied text.

4 Likes

I have the edit button when it’s my own reply. It seems to be a simple way to edit your own post.

Unfortunately, as PeZsmistic says, quotes really are just text which is copied and pasted into a special format. Pasting a link to a topic or reply is more secure, but then you cannot abbreviate the text, which I actually believe is why you are allowed to edit quotes.

You can click on the header of a quote to see the unedited source. Otherwise, we just have to trust that nobody is abusing the quote feature to twist words.

1 Like