Memory Simulation & More Device Testing Features

So what you’re saying is…we have more control over the devices we emulate, and can now emulate not only size and resolution but also performance?

Sweet

2 Likes

Hey @PlumJar, Will the iPhone 11/XR be added so we can test with them?

2 Likes

Really nice to see this feature getting implemented, now we can test out custom devices to test how our game will work on certain devices and etc.

Really love how ROBLOX is hard on work, implementing many new features that will be useful to developers during qurantine!

1 Like

This is insane(in a good way), All the list of devices of how it can run and if I should support it. Now games with serious bugs can find the problem more easier. This will help worth more serious games that have more intense gameplay.

2 Likes

A great update that will improve testing on lowe-end devices. Is the option of limiting processing power (such as core count our even simulated clock speed) on the roadmap?

On another note; now that I think of it… If I set the memory to be more than what I have… will my PC grow more RAM? :thinking:

3 Likes

How exactly are we supposed to find out if our game goes over the RAM limit?

• Testing with just 10MB or RAM doesn’t give any clear indication that we must obviously be over the limit.
  • And the Memory tab in the performance stats shows memory usage of Roblox Studio as a whole and not just the resources used by the game.

Or is this only useful for testing StreamingEnabled?

1 Like

This feature is currently intended for testing streaming, but I understand how important performance testing is and will investigate expanding on what we’ve done here. Thanks for the feedback!

8 Likes

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for the feedback! I will take a look at what we can do to resolve that behavior

3 Likes

Great question and idea. I am not the right person to answer this (different team), but I know we are always investigating better tools for your testing! Will pass it along.

3 Likes

With Streaming Enabled, you will notice map stream-out if your game runs out of memory

3 Likes

Oh this is exatly What we needed :smiley:!, Roblox keeps on Surprising us with those Useful Features . Good Job :+1:

2 Likes

It is a really good update, it could help developers to fix lags in them games for people who have a low end device (me and a lots of people). I am really glad Roblox keep improving to reduce and to help people reducing lags in them games.

Being able to create presets with custom memory will definitely help when testing for lag on older devices, which will be really helpful for larger builds. :upside_down_face:

This will show you how your game will behave when ram constraints occur, not tell you the actual framerate of different devices which you can at best only guesstimate due to the huge amount of different hardware configurations existing.

3 Likes

I like this update because it now gives us the capability to test streaming more effectively, but I have never used streaming because we cannot tag items which we do not want to stream out.

Right now, if I have a model with multiple parts, I would have to add a bunch of events for ChildAdded or CollectionService tags and check constantly if these parts exist. There’s no guarantee anything exists and that kind of sucks programmatically.

I like that Roblox is pushing Roblox Studio updates that improve this feature, but ultimately streaming needs an API expansion to grant more programmatic control for game devs. The newer Player:RequestStreamAroundAsync method is pretty neat, but still fails to address what I mentioned earlier. Something like a StreamingService with methods to ignore / prioritizes streaming would be interesting.

3 Likes

It’s not mine is 8, I think they are just taking an estimated % guess?

I was recently thinking about if I were to make a high quality game, I wouldn’t want to make it available to mobile players since it would be too hard and expensive for me to test the game on every device possible plus I would have no idea on how much it would lag for a mobile player.

This new feature is great, now nobody has to deal with the pain up above!

1 Like

Free PC RAM! Let’s gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

3 Likes

The way this is stated makes it sound centric to streaming. Is this just as helpful for testing games that don’t use streaming, or use a custom form of loading in-and-out like Bloxburg?

Will this give an accurate view of what it’s like to play on a device that crashes irl on my games due to memory issues? The Iphone 4 is filtered in my game, will I be able to learn through studio what point the device tends to crash?; Can this simulate a memory crash when it would actually occur, in other words?

Has the 200MB target memory finally been reevaluated in this release? Or will it continue to serve as a confusing catch all, inclusive of the lowest devices imaginable that informs me a baseplate is too much memory? This is source to what @Razorter said in an above post: As a Roblox developer it's currently impossible to hit the 200.00 MB memory target set by the performance stats - #4 by MrGreystone

Eyyyyy! I no longer have to worry about mobile users complaining that my GUIs cover their screen because they are using small phones (Not sure why these days but whatever, to each their own :smile:)

1 Like