Merge ground with roads

So i’m working on a roleplay game and i’m building a very big map.
I’m building the roads first and then the ground and nature,

I’m using gapfill to merge the ground parts to the roads, and it’s super time wasting and hard, for example the game Ultimate Driving, how do they merge the ground with the roads like that?
does anybody know a good plugin that i can merge the ground in a quicker way?

Any support would be very appreciated!

That black part is the ground i just need to add a texture

2 Likes

I don’t use the roblox’s default terrain for multiple reasons:

1. When I generate a flat one, it the material is lava…
  2. I want the roads to have like up and downs so it feels more realistic and more like a real life ground thing…

If you’re looking to use part-based terrain, raising the roads by a fraction of a stud above a flat part can make it look nearly flush while preserving time and partcount.

However, both of the reasons you just listed for not using voxel terrain seem like small hurdles when thinking about the visual boost voxel terrain can give a game. Material painting can fix the lava issue and you’ve got to do that anyways to make good terrain- and smoothing out elevation changes can give slight dips to your roads/terrain.

1 Like

I know, but I’m making the terrain very BIG so I don’t think painting it would help lol…

1 Like

@Gravity_Defier
They need to add a feature where you can paint the whole terrain, it’s kinda too classic for today’s roblox to not have enough features…

The point of painting terrain is detailing, you can use a really large brush and about 30 seconds to paint terrain one color

1 Like

The thing is that i’m maxing up the amount of the size of the terrain except for height, and it lags whenever I paint with a large brush, a very weird bug…

You should use F3X plugin. You can merge stuff with it with the move tool. Hope this helped.

well, I can’t find any button in F3X that has to do with that, can you show me a screenshot?

Its the first button. the one with the yellow background. Its at the top of the tools.

Oh, move stuff you say… I did not mean that…

Couldn’t you just move a part slightly below the roads?

It’s impossible to do dude, the roads are uphill and downhill I what I mean by that, the ground needs to be
merged around the roads not under them because the roads will be in the air.

Unfortantetly, using gap-fill to make ground next to roads is basically the fastest way to do it, and if you want a faster way to do it there almost isn’t any.

As for Ultimate Driving and most other driving games do is that they have 2, maybe more, different sets of ground. What I mean is that they have one set of more highly detailed terrain directly next to the road that is usually to a slightly lower quality of the actual road, and another set of terrain farther away. This second set of terrain can be anything, from gap-filled terrain, to Roblox terrain, to giant circles like used to be all the rage in in 2012.

One thing to keep in mind is that while the transition between the road and the first set of terrain needs to be relatively smooth, the transition between the first and second set of terrain doesn’t.

Here is just an example of what I mean.

Make the red triangle in the center and fill it in somehow, either with solid shapes or gap-fill. The use gap-fill to connect that shape to the roads. It will take about the same amount of gap-fill operations to fill in, but because the areas are closer together gap-fill should process each operation slightly faster and you have less distance to move your camera to create each gap. Again, this method isn’t that much faster than what you are doing, but it allows you to include hills and other features more easily.

1 Like

if you understand blender and still need help with this issue, i have a decent solution

1 Like

You should make your terrain first, roads later. This way when you make your roads, you’ll shape them to fit the terrain.
I’d suggest making both terrain and roads in Blender, for best-looking results. If you wish to stick with the roads you already have:

Both of these issues are literally solved by the Fill tool in the Terrain Editor.

So therefore use the sculpt tool to… sculpt the terrain?

literally the definition of game development, never was or will be easy. don’t expect an easy, quick process.

my slow self just now realizing i’m replying to a post from 4 years ago :sob: