Mesh has weird shading

I’m trying to model a whale shark in blender in multiple pieces, and for some reason, one of the parts has such bad shading that it’s basically unusable, as can be seen to the right in the attached image.

The shading issue is not visible at all in Blender.
I’ve tried the following based on similar threads I’ve found:

• Inverting the normals. This just makes it inside out with no changes to the weird shading.
  • Setting CollisionFidelity to Box. None of the options for this setting solves the issue, though it’s slightly better on Box
  • Disabling CastShadow. This doesn’t do anything about the weird shadow on top of the mesh.
  • Changing EnvironmentDiffuseScale and EnvironmentSpecularScale. This doesn’t help at all.
  • Importing it as another file format.
  • Making the mesh smaller. This makes the shading look better on the bottom of the mesh, but not the top.
  • Replacing the MeshPart with a normal Part with a SpecialMesh. The mesh is not visible when used as a SpecialMesh.
2 Likes

Honestly I don’t see the weird shading you’re talking about, but have you tried recalculating normals (shift + n while in edit mode) instead of just flipping them?

Have you enabled DoubleSided on the Mesh Properties?

What does about like mesh not good

Please don’t suggest DoubleSided for anything other than using MeshPart leaves, paper or other Meshes that would only have 2 sides. See the link for details. If you DoubleSide an improperly created Mesh then there’s a good chance there will be strange shadows wherever the inward pointing and outward pointing Faces meet at an edge.

@battlecruiser12 as others have said, I can’t see issues with the shading. Do you mean the mismatched edges and shading like the red items, or the green area where there is a faded line instead of a sharp line?

alright, what you want to do here, is select that object and press ctrl a - apply all transforms I think its called, and that fixes the issue, well atleast it has for me when I run into problem like this. if that doesn’t work, then do what I just said and recalculate the outside normals

1 Like

Not sure how people aren’t seeing anything weird with the mesh, I’m referring to the fact that these areas are significantly darker than anything else despite being in direct sunlight. The two meshparts in the picture have the exact same color, and no texture applied to either.

“Apply All Transforms” solved the issue completely! Thank you so much!

For anyone else having this issue in the future: select the object in Object mode, click the “Object” menu in the Object mode menu, and then the “Apply” submenu to find it.

Ah, I think we all believed the gray sections were supposed to be that way as colouring on the whale shark.
You said ‘bad shading’ but because you didn’t describe to us exactly how it was bad we could only guess what you were talking about.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.