Mesh hitboxes not accurate upon import

I’m trying to make it so that players can walk through a tree log model, however, there seems to be like an invisible wall there causing the player to not being able to walk through. I tried asking some friends and changing render fidelity. However, nothing worked.

Hm, did you try separating the mesh? Into other pieces?

We’re trying to minimize the amount of parts and want it to be 1 mesh.

Most people make multiple meshes because of this reason I don’t think there is really an easy way to get around this or even any way.

Try like 2 meshes for one full log, one top and one bottom…

Collision geometry is difficult, but you can view where the problem areas are with the Show Decomposition Geometry tool in Settings, or using this plugin

As for a solution, for tight tube-shaped assets where the player will be walking through, you may need to set the CollisionFidelity to PreciseConvexDecomposition, or in the extreme case, disable collisions for the mesh entirely, and “fake” the collisions with transparent Parts. Doing the latter is not a great solution because the camera will clip through… but it’ll at least allow players to move accurately.

@tnt_Dante they said they’re using a mesh in the title. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s not the RenderFidelity property that needs changing. You need to change the CollisionFidelity property.

When you import a mesh ID, by default the CollisionFidelity is set to Default, however if you want a very precise collision geometry around your mesh you need to set CollisionFidelity to PreciseConvexDecomposition.

The following links may be of help:
CollisionFidelity (roblox.com)
MeshPart.CollisionFidelity (roblox.com)