Mesh Import Tris Question

I am currently trying to add a mesh into studio but keep getting a message that the mesh is over 10,000 tris. Blender is saying the tris are at 9,002, so I should be able to import it with no problem. If anyone knows why this is happening or how to resolve it, I would greatly appreciate it!

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 12.07.48 AM Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 12.08.06 AM

1 Like

While I don’t know enough to say whether or not the tri count changes between Blender and Studio, what I can suggest is:

• Make sure that you’re importing just that object and not other objects in your blender scene (fix by toggling ‘export selection only’ found when after you click Export > Wavefront Obj. > the toggle will then be on the left side of the window with all the files).
  • If that doesn’t apply then maybe try separating your mesh into separate objects or simplifying your mesh
  • idk of anything outside of that

Thank you, I will definitely try that out!

If I get too many triangles error, I always split my mesh into smaller pieces and import them separately.

2 Likes

I use this trick all the time. Definitely gets the job done.

1 Like

If you have multiple objects in your blender file (even ones that are toggled to be inactive), exporting as an .obj will still include them unless you select the “export selected” box in the export window, making the export larger than you expect as Garen suggested above. Rule that out first.

If there’s nothing that seems to be the issue, I know that Studio imports meshes slightly differently when a face has a large number of vertices attached to it, which if your mesh isn’t triangulated before exporting, be sure to do that and re-upload it.

And finally, cutting up a mesh that’s over 10k tris in most cases is really not wise. In the large majority of cases, you absolutely don’t need that many tris for anything purposed for Roblox. You should definitely consider simplifying your topology and using a texture for any smaller details.

If none of these are applicable to you, please edit your first post to include images of your object (something you should have included in the first post regardless).

1 Like