Mesh importing scale factor option

If you have ever uploaded meshes on Roblox, you probably know that you need to export at a scale of 0.01 for your units to import correctly to Roblox “studs”.

My problem is the precision loss that occurs during this transformation. For example, here’s a simple mesh I uploaded that is precisely 1x1x1 in Blender.

The Properties panel displays 1, 1, 1 for the MeshPart’s size, but this is because the properties pane always rounds to the nearest 0.001 when displaying numbers (a problem I’d like to address in a different post.) In reality, the resulting size is actually 1, 1.00000012, 1.00000012:

I’m not sure exactly what causes this, but it’s most likely caused by floating point precision loss when converting the position twice (first by 0.01 when exporting, then by 100 when importing.) I think the best way to resolve this, assuming I’m correct, would be by adding a new studio setting that can disable, or even customize this scale factor. I would also request that this custom scale factor setting be stored as a double instead of a float though; It’s often practical to use floats for the final product, but development tools should always be precise.

9 Likes