Mesh Stealing Feature with Roblox+?

I dont use the chrome extension Roblox+ but a friend of mine informed me of a recent update that allows you to easily steal the render mesh asset id of any mesh.

He told me that if you view the webpage of a mesh while using roblox+, a section called “Content” pops up. If you click on it, it reveals the render mesh of the actual mesh. Here’s an image of what it looks like

By clicking on the render mesh, it opens up the render mesh webpage exposing the render mesh ID, which can then be copied and pasted into meshparts in-game.

For those who dont know, the mesh id isn’t the one used for the meshes we see in game, its the render mesh id. The render meh id before had to be accessed by doing some complicated procedure but now its as easy as clicking a button.

This is a huge blow to asset protection. The new game im working is using nothing but meshparts and now with this, our game has the potential of being stolen piece by piece.

There’s this guy who despises our game (because his titanic is crap and claims that he’s the best). He is certainly not some random anti-fan noob. Hes actually tried suing us (although his basis is false and we could sue him right back), but now he has the potential to completely take our hard work. Hes tried to claim stuff my friend made in the past and pass it off as his (and people believed him).

Overall we NEED private inventories, that probably wont fix the problem completely but it will really help. Our games are in jeopardy under the current system.

1 Like

@WebGL3D

1 Like

We can easily get the mesh ID without the extension. This is also useful to me as it allows me to get hat meshes as well.

3 Likes

It’s not really stealing with Roblox+, this information is already available to anyone, which is how Roblox+ scrapes it, and simply presents it to the user more readily.

1 Like

Roblox meshes are fine, in fact I wish their ID’s were more public, its user meshes that seriously need to be made more private

I know it was possible to take Mesh id’s before, ive done it myself to try it out. Its just that this plugin makes it so much easier which makes it so much more dangerous

I mean, I get it, but I can’t really say it’s a problem for a plugin to organize readily available data.

that would be pretty cool though

Well im not really attacking the plugin and saying that roblox should block the plugin or whatever. A plugin reorganizing public data is great! but this information should NOT be public. Im trying to warn everyone how its now easier than ever to steal meshes and that this has become a huge problem.

Seems like we need to lock down meshes that aren’t made public domain to only be used by the game’s creator. My intention with displaying the rendermesh contents of meshparts was not to make it easier for people to rip off others. It was made so the asset’s creator could more easily find what they need. I can remove this feature from MeshParts on ROBLOX+ for now, maybe later today if it’s an issue for you.

5 Likes

I had no idea the creator of Roblox + was here, but anyways, if you could possibly redesign so that only the creator can use this on their inventory that would be a perfect compromise.

that only the creator could use this on private assets* With free meshes it’s fine as-is.

Well only on their* private assets, and yeah public/free assets dont need it

Those who truly wish to steal your assets with the intention to harm will not be stopped if R+ disables the content feature. Extra security is always nice to have though.

Of course they wont be stopped. Roblox + is not the root of the problem. Roblox + is just making it easier and quicker for people to take them. This makes it MUCH easier to steal someone’s game and therefore this Roblox + feature poses as a huge threat. This post wasnt really directed towards me (I dont think the guy really will take our meshes), but I really directed this post towards Roblox and how important it is that they add asset protection for us creators (because people could write up scripts like Roblox + and use that power to easily steal assets).

I should probably change the title to Mesh Protection Rant

I disagree here too. If someone is capable of making a game so nice and well-made that it could actually compete with your using your own assets, the maker of the game is skilled enough to take your assets no matter what.

If they are not capable of making such a nice game, their possession of your assets is no threat at all, and the plugin is still irrelevant in the matter.

Personally, I agree with you. I agree that audio, meshes, even decals, should not be listed on the website for others to see. But I disagree that Roblox+ plays a role in the problem.

Another reason I defend the Roblox+ feature is because, as a developer, I frequently use this feature for my own assets.

Well I think this Roblox+ feature (as it is) just fuels the problem and makes it worse. You cannot deny that it makes mesh stealing easier.

And although I dont use roblox +, I completely agree that this Roblox+ feature is great for people trying to find their own meshes. A couple posts above this I proposed a compromise.

Let me point out that there are a lot of non-well-made games that cycle through the front page, so game makers don’t necessarily have to be skilled to have a popular game. Let’s not turn this into a debate about whether or not asset theft is a real threat though, as this has been discussed in numerous threads past and we don’t need to re-say what has already been said.

I’m pretty sure we’ve already came to a conclusion on this thread: the feature is great, but it’d be even better if the section in question on private assets was only displayed to owners. There’s nothing wrong with that, so if Web is willing to implement it then case closed. @Lilly_S can lock the thread, and if anyone wants to continue the discussion about asset theft they can resume an existing topic.

1 Like

Yeah this thread can be locked, as long as this feature can be edited to be less powerful Im satisfied.