Mesh texture becomes black on intended mesh

ALL FILES MESHES ARE EXPORTED AS .fbx, I get the same result with an .obj file

• What are you attempting to achieve? (Keep it simple and clear)
    I am attempting to add a texture to a low poly mesh.

• What is the issue? (Keep it simple and clear - Include screenshots/videos/GIFs if possible)
    Texture only becomes black and does not render properly. Although it looks ok on the image file.
    How it is supposed to look:

How it looks in Studio:
    GlockWrong%20render
    (Gif)
    https://gyazo.com/65a22ac7072b91b5933b3afe37cb1fe4

• What solutions have you tried so far? (Have you searched for solutions through the Roblox Wiki yet?)
    I have used countless hours researching on blender forums, devforums etc. I tried to use different ways to bake my blender render material to texture. And tried to use it on other meshes.

You may then include any further details.
So the weird thing is that the texture renders (shows) on the other guns, obviously not the right way, but the right colors etc. But on the intended mesh it just becomes black (see pictures).
Here the Desert Eagle has the glock texture:
works%20on%20other%20guns
(gif)
https://gyazo.com/5b3534a69a9439d8627ecdb55251bfec

(Files:)
(TEXTURE)

(MODEL)
Glock18WihtoutMag.blend (649.7 KB)

I know the texture works and that I did the blender part right. But there is something on ROBLOX Studio’s side that doesn’t work! (Or my settings)
(DISCLAIMER: MY FIRST POST!)

I am grateful for any help!

4 Likes

Hmm…

• Check UV Maps.
  • Try use OBJ format if you using something else.
  • Check export settings in blender.

That is all. I do not know how I can help more.
If you still have a problem, it can be a roblox glitch.

4 Likes

Just like iBorek said, if you aren’t using OBJ, you can change the extension to OBJ and try it like that. I’ve had this issue and making it an OBJ extension helped.

2 Likes

@Techoye @iborek
Hey, I changed the model to an .fbx to .obj.
Still the same, as I said, I do believe this is a problem with ROBLOX studio, since the texture “works” on other models…
Anyways, thanks for the help so far.
Hope I can resolve the issue soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If it is an issue with ROBLOX itself, I’d suggest reporting it as a bug.

3 Likes

But, the texture works with other guns.
But still, its highly likely it is a bug.
I will post it on bugs tomorrow if I haven’t resolved the issue yet.
Thanks.

1 Like

I have this same problem, my meshes are all dark grey or whatever, it doesn’t load up and it’s agitating because I want to release my game soon and the textures just won’t show.

I would suggest reporting it as a bug.

2 Likes

Thanks for supplying your blender file - I quickly knew what the issue is: You need to unwrap your UVs

When you do, you can make the UV follow the texture you want. Mark your seams to make it easier, and I recommend against using “Smart UV Project” except for really simple textures.

To avoid confusion, I’ll add that you shouldn’t be on Render Result because that’ll be blank when you unwrap. Use “Glock_18.png” for the actual UV to show.

(also a little Blender tip, avoid unnecessary faces by using the Dissolve tool.

Simple press X, and select whichever handle you want to remove - in this case, Vertices.

Before

After

Happy Blending! :smiley:

Last edit I promise haha :stuck_out_tongue: :

Texture Baking is used for reducing render time during a render project, not in what you’re describing it as. I wanted to clear that up because I see a lot of devs say “I just need to bake in this texture before uploading” when that’s not what “baking” means in the Roblox sense. Blender is a confusing enough software without artists using the same word to refer to very different processes :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hey! I will come back to you later today and test this out!
So basically what I have to do is:
Select the whole model (CTRL + J)
Select the top and dissolve verticles.
Then UV Unwrap?
And then Bake? Or what… I am fairly new to blender so… yeah
How would I then get then get the right texture?
Thanks!

IKR! It is really weird! Try to see if @Aotrou ´s answer works!
I will try it out later today…

I will try but my textures worked before and I haven’t changed my method of making 3d models, I think reporting it as a Studio bug would benefit us more.

I think it’s cause of the voxel lighting setting this can be fixed by doing something like this.

No, sadly it is not. Anyways, thanks for the help.

1 Like

Hey, could you maybe send me the texture? I just want to see if I am doing something wrong or if it is a bug.
Thank you so much!

I’ve had the same issue before. This happened when I reduced the poly count of a mesh. I’m guessing to solve the problem your gonna have to remodel a bit of it.

This isn’t a bug. I explained the issue above in my previous post - your mesh is lacking UVs. I’ve also spent the last hour or so trying to sort out your mesh, and while it’s messy it isn’t terrible.

I still need to clean up the UV’s islands but this is basically what you want to work towards:

If you’re only going to have the texture have these solid colours, you could theoretically just make a texture with three squares and throw all the UVs onto their respective colour. That’d take all of five minutes to do but would be a pain in the ass later on if you wanted to add, say, camo skins. The way I unwrapped the slide of the gun will allow you to lay on a more complex texture if you ever want to.

Edit: Got the UV figured out for the slide. I ripped a camo texture off Google just to show you - hence the watermark haha. Obviously you’d make your own or buy one properly.

Works pretty well except for a few edge cases… Like these edges here:

But if you’re looking down the sights, it’s hidden well

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much! I am so grateful for all the time and effort you put into helping me (hope you know that)!
I will try to kind of copy what you did and hopefully learn how I can make the parts have “less” parts/polygons.

(I don’t know if I am allowed to write this here but: if you are interested I would gladly have a texture/gun maker for my games. With pay of course :upside_down_face:.)

Hey it worked almost perfectly! Thanks!!

I am also getting the same issue however I am not interested in applying a texture, asset is separated in loads of different parts which some come out black and other come out normal.

I am unable to do any colouring on the black parts, I have also been trying to find a solution for a long time.

Any help would be appreciated as I have quite a few assets with this issue that I need for my game.

1 Like

I don’t know if you ever found a solution but having the same problem here, extremely frustrating as i’ve tried resetting the normals, also tried exporting from Blender even though i’m using 3DS Max but I had no luck with any of these. However since this is one mesh it should all be one part colour right? Well that isn’t the case here. I’ve come to the conclusion that this is a roblox engine bug.

*edit exporting with .obj works (which shouldn’t be a fix by the way as it doesn’t retain it’s scale value)

4 Likes