Mesh texture pixalated once imported in roblox

there is a weird thing that i keep seeing with the textures being rendered in a low quality mode when im looking from a distance, how would i make it so the textures look like in blender or at least not that pixalated?

2 Likes

I do not think you can fix this as your mesh is quite small. Roblox auto-compresses images uploaded to the website too. how large is your texture?

1 Like

it happens with then object is large too, texture is around like 1700 x 1300 (mm)

1 Like

that’s pretty large. maybe scale it down to lower the amount Roblox compresses? Does it look normal when you put it on a decal?

1 Like

problem is that it needs to be that way in order to scale correctly on the surface (in blender), making it a decal will not apply well on the object

1 Like

Can’t you scale it down and keep its dimensions proportional to the original though?
(Sorry that it’s not really relevant to the matter …)

1 Like

Hi,

what you’re seeing is most likely due to Roblox auto ‘mipmapping’ (storing in VRAM lower level of detail versions of your original texture) your texture so that a distant object with texture uses a much smaller version of the texture you uploaded to minimise the VRAM required. I don’t believe there’s anything you can do about this as there’s no setting to disable mipmaps on images.

Also as an aside using ‘mm’ (a real world physical dimension) can be somewhat confusing when referring to your label texture size. You want to refer to the pixel dimensions of images instead of the physical dimensions of images (mm) as they are affected by the DPI setting in your photoshop or image file.

Ideally you want to be making textures as POT (Power of two such as 1024x1024 or 512x512) Roblox will allow 2048x2048px of course but what that means is that when it ‘mipmaps’ is will store in memory every resolution of that texture from 2048 down through 1024,512,256,128,64,32,16 etc…).

If you upload a non-POT texture to Roblox (like a landscape aspect image) it will (behind the scenes) squish it to POT to allow it to use GPU compression (something standard on other engines like unity or playcanvas) except you get warnings about those.

hope that helps

1 Like