Meshes resizing and reassigning to other meshes

I am having some very odd behaviour from my meshes today. I have created separate meshes in Blender than imported them individually as .fbx format meshes. The first thing that is happening… is the sizes of the meshes are rounding to very odd sizes. While I made an effort to make sure the mesh would be a rounded size (10cm in Blender so that it would be 10 studs in Studio) It becomes something random. I wonder if this is a problem with Blender rounding my measurements so that when I see 10 cm it is actually not quite 10 cm OR is this Studio adjusting the mesh because it will actually create the mesh with various triangles as it doesn’t have the same flexibility in building as Blender.

The second issue I am having which I noticed when I went to resize my meshes to be proper sizes is that one of the parts of one mesh has become part of another mesh and resizes when it shouldn’t.

The window frame is one mesh made of concrete. The red brick wall is another mesh (pictured above). They imported separately, and are named separately, and are not welded in any way that I can see. They do not share a texture. This is how they look in explorer

but this is what happens when I resize
For Your Consideration - Roblox Studio (gyazo.com)

The brick wall and the outer part of the stone frame have both resized

I am a wee bit frustrated that I don’t know what is going on so would very much appreciate any help. Thanks.

1 Like

Check the locations of the Vertices at the corners of your square 10cm Mesh. The corners of one side may be at +5cm and -5cm, but the other corners may be at +5.013 and -4.987, which would make the Edges 10 cm long, but the whole Mesh 10.013 wide.

1 Like

I should have added up the opposite subdivided edge but I wasn’t being smart. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the odd things - and I still don’t know why Studio moves faces associated with another mesh that isn’t selected. Anyway… when I added up the other side the total wasn’t 10.013 but rather 10.026. I think what happened was Blender rounded the single side and since the angles were 90 degrees, Roblox split the difference with the information it was given. I will have to be more careful about my measurements in Blender now that I realize the rounding.

Thanks again!!

1 Like

No worries.
One thing that I love about Studio compared to Blender is that you can select a bunch of Parts and align them by typing in the X, Y or Z Position you want them aligned to.
If you select a bunch of Vertices in Blender you can do the same thing, but it becomes the average of all the Vertices positions that gets moved there. There are a few extra steps you need to do to make all the points values the same, then you can change them all to a specified value…

1 Like

ahhh … I may have a tip for you for Blender! You can align everything to a specific point… not just the average. Choose Active Element in the Transform Pivot Point drop down menu. image
Then select all the points you want aligned and the point you want them aligned to last

then press S+(axis you want to align along) + 0
It will then align to that point instead of the average. Where as if you had say Bounding Box in your Transform Pivot Point drop down it would indeed do the average of the points along the chosen axis.

Hehe, yeah. That’s the ‘extra steps’ I was referring to.
Studio’s more basic approach being where you select a bunch of Parts and just type in the number you want them at in the Properties Location X, Y or Z axes values.

oh… I see. Did I just give away a trade secret?

1 Like