Meshes Reversing location Polarity after importation

In order to optimize my game performance-wise, I need to export my studio-made guns as meshes and then import them back in as mesh parts so my gun’s welding system doesn’t lag. I do not use blender, and ever mesh I’m making is being exported from studio and not a third-party program.

When I re-insert the mesh however (either using bulk-import or manually inserting the meshes to MeshPart instances) the location’s polarity is swapped on the X and Z axis. For example, the parts of my minigun are suppose to appear at 24.785, 2.425, -27.184, but instead they appear at -24.785, 2.425, 27.185 with a mirrored position. And yes, I did click insert with location.

This has actually been happening to me for quite some time now, and I haven’t seen anyone talk about it before so I’m not sure if this is a bug or if there’s something I’m overlooking.
Thanks.

I’m not sure why this is happening to you. My meshes don’t change position when I import an exported union, but the 180 degree rotation (or negated x and z vertices) is something I do see happening. Not sure why though.

1 Like

I don’t know why you need them as meshes. It’s far easier to weld them from the onset, and it makes them easier to customise/ use. Contrary to popular belief, modelled tools don’t make too much of a difference to mesh tools. The difference is pretty much negligible, the high triangle count of the mesh makes it take longer to initially load anyways.

Hey @PhoenixCraft99

Response

Stop what you’re doing. Meshing guns made in studio do not improve performance. It’s the same horrible topology smashed into one another with blender. It is a horrible solution that arguably makes everything worse. You’re better off welding them together like @oggy521 said.

Response to @oggy521

“Contrary to popular belief, modelled tools don’t make too much of a difference to mesh tools. The difference is pretty much negligible, the high triangle count of the mesh makes it take longer to initially load anyways.”

You’re so wrong for this. The quality of 3D modeling from different people is often disparaging. So I agree that if you find a horrible 3D modeler to create your models, you’re just better off using parts. However an optimized 3D modeler who knows what they’re doing absolutely blows parts/unions out of the water. Meshes are just the same as roblox primitives, you just have much more control of faces, vertices and edges. Meshes by definition are so much more performant than parts in the hands of the right modeler.

Conclusion

Stop meshing your part based guns, weld them instead. Good luck.

1 Like

I agree that a mesh tool looks nicer. My post above meant that turning his parts into a mesh would have very negligible difference in performance. I would doubt it would do much for aesthetics, since I’m imagining the tool would look pretty much the same on the outside after being turned to a mesh.

@oggy521 @BloodSpring I don’t want to use blender, and have already modeled all of the guns in studio. The reason I need them meshed is because the sheer amount of parts used to create the guns being welded together causes physics issues with my gun script. If I decrease the weld amount by turning the parts into meshes, this can decrease the amount of instances being handled by the script, and can stop a lot of lag.

I will also remind you that multiple instances of parts will cause more lag than one HTTP request attached to one instance. The type of lag an HTTP request generates is network lag and not physics lag at all - That’s why meshes are better for optimizing my modeling/building.

Besides, this isn’t about why I’m doing it, it’s about a solution to this problem. I’ve encountered it in my other performance-optimization tasks as well, and it’s starting to get annoying.

Usually I would just copy the location of the build and paste it into the mesh’s properties. Sometimes its not that accurate but if its a really large union, you can put a part in the center of the entire model and get the location of that