Meshes versus Parts when it comes to performance which is better?

So i had this question for awhile now and wanted to actually know if there’s performance difference between optimized Meshes (As having no faces in certain place) and normal Parts.

Here’s 4 pictures, and in your opinion is there any performance differences between these 2 choices?

Optimized Meshes:

Normal Parts:

6 Likes

Meshes are always more performant than their corresponding part. So yes, meshes would be more performant but parts will look better.

3 Likes

Oh i see, thanks for responding.

Adding onto what @VegetationBush said, meshes are performant; however, they can cause more issues than solve problems when used in excess. I’d say use meshes and parts wherever you see appropriate.

3 Likes

For anyone who searches about MeshParts versus Parts and finds this reply, do not switch to MeshParts randomly because odds are everyone is using parts/MeshParts differently and that means that this question will have different answers to different people.

Anyways, to get a good answer for which one is better, we need to know how this train track model thing is being used. Is it always floating? Will it be on the ground? Is there a chance that a players camera will be facing it from below?

Also, is this made up of a bunch of MeshParts? If yes, are they all using the same MeshId?

1 Like

Quite a late reply but there is 2 different meshes for the whole rails model. The metal (grey coloured) parts are a singular mesh and the same goes for the wooden planks (brown coloured) parts. I was planning to have this model just for the decoration purpose and not as if there would be a train moving on it or anything.

1 Like

Although meshes and parts are both useful tools in building, usually a mesh would have better performance than a part, and is better to optimize your game with. This is not saying you should use a mesh for everything you build, since they sometimes can create problems, but generally using a mesh would be the better option, especially for this type of scenario.

What issues exactly do they cause?

Sorry for the bump, I just need to know :smile: