MeshPart being inversely lit by global lighting

Here are example photos. ![](upload://uM7ZQPP72WFjc40QjSsltz8Jn6D.png) ![](upload://5jPgLu0zRUKK8b4eRGW1plQJU4I.png) ![](upload://2pMlAjBnmtt6ssAzX6QGjR42tX1.png)

As you can see, the problem is that the bottom of the MeshPart is lit brightly, while the top is shadowed. The Lighting object of this place has not been modified from the default settings.

If the meshes are needed for any sort of verification, they can be obtained here.

Could it be because I had to mirror and flip the normals of the mesh? (i.e., Roblox’s lighting system believes it is inside out?)

Voxel lighting is stuck to a 4x4 grid. Try resizing it to see if you still have the problem. If you do, you can go into blender and mess with how lighting is calculated on the surfaces.

Not exactly better…

I’ll experiment in Blender a little and see if I can do anything there.

If you open it up in Blender, there should be a small + at the top-right of the 3D viewport. Drag it to the left to get a pane that gives you all kinds of info about the scene/mesh. Select the mesh, go to edit mode, and scroll down in that pane and click the vertex button:

Share a screenshot of the mesh with normals being rendered.

Here you go:

So it looks like a lot of these are inverted. You should use Recalculate Normals under Shading/UVs.

1 Like

Not only does that not fix the lighting, half of the mesh is now inside out.

![](upload://rW0BMTOCOL8BnKcXnZHG575PQf0.png)

Um… at this point, I can’t really tell what’s going on just from screenshots. If you want to PM me the .blend, I’ll take a look.

After more looking, here’s some further screenshots after experimenting more in Blender… and coming up with nothing.

A Mesh Divided ![](upload://nCOpQ59IjW8NXvJi5hboYNY2IzM.png) ![](upload://9JvT59i2dyBKzNAV478JDaydqQO.png)
Extruded, not single-sided ![](upload://wpiGK9wn27BJX1fsmisNnLec0Oh.png) ![](upload://4YcmMQBDRWjdFtFs7zeVWdeE6Ci.png)
Using -1 Z instead of mirroring ![](upload://oiDz710PT85ueCSM2e1fQCmSRet.png) ![](upload://9QliwlBb0jsZQNZhRRP5j0WNt4b.png)

Uploaded without ANY mirroring:

That’s what the lighting is supposed to look like. But, as you can see, what is supposed to be left is now right, and vice versa…

Is this a Roblox issue? A Blender issue? I’m lost.

Can you PM me the .blend file as well as the texture?

I have figured out a solution. After mirroring or using -1 Z, I had to Apply Scale to the object. Doing so resulted in the model and its lighting being as they should be.

2 Likes

Pics please.

This sounds like an exporter issue now. Blender’s FBX importer has a few bugs. Maybe we need to talk about this…

1 Like

About mesh bugs, sometimes when I export meshes to roblox, some or all of the faces become inverted

1 Like

Not sure what you expected there. Most of your faces look inverted in Blender. Blue is a backface.

3 Likes

That’s a case that looks like it would be solved by flipping normals.

@0xBAADF00D: Yeah, I’m not sure if it’s Blender’s export or Roblox’s import, but that seems to be where the trouble lies. I’ve also noticed that, when I try to flip the texture of a material in Blender, applying -1 Y to make the texture be read upside down, that setting doesn’t seem to export into Roblox. It renders with the texture flipped in Blender, but not in Roblox.

1 Like

Hey Im making my own car and Im getting the same shadow issue with using the mirroring solidfier. How exactly did you fix it?

@Mistertitanic44

2 Likes

Thanks!