Message from null

Had this pop up this morning. There is seemingly no way to reproduce this error. When I go to my messages tab, there is no message there.

Here is the conversation id: 12683262131
When I try to view it, the page is blank

7 Likes

How did you get the conversation id? Have you tried it on get-messages? Do you think the notification is from the chat or standard roblox messages?

http://chat.roblox.com/docs#!/Chat/get_v2_get_messages

https://privatemessages.roblox.com/docs#!/Messages/get_v1_messages_messageId

3 Likes

Could be related to the recent security issues with messages and the message was deleted by moderation along with the user.

2 Likes

Probably BTRoblox. It’s a plugin that allows you to right click and get any asset ID from a… asset (duh).

1 Like

Encountered this too!
I’m pretty sure this ends up happening if a user who was sending spam messages get their outgoing scam messages cleared, resulting in it disappearing from everywhere but that notification stream.

3 Likes

I’ve encountered something similar I’m not to sure why it’s like this image

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed this internally and we’ll follow up.

1 Like

I am in the process of checking over bug reports and following up on some bugs that haven’t received any activity in a while.
Is this issue still occurring or can you confirm that this bug has been resolved? We are having a hard time reproducing this issue

1 Like

I can’t see the issue anymore, but that’s not necessarily because it’s fixed, it’s because it was in my notifications, and I get tons of them a day, so it’s gone now.

1 Like

alright. When there is an update i will pass it on

1 Like

Just got this issue

conversationId 13667802377

PrivateMessages API returns

{
“errors”: [
{
“code”: 2,
“message”: “Message does not exist or the current user is not authorized to view it.”,
“userFacingMessage”: “Something went wrong”
}
]
}

notification API

Edit for sircfenner:

id “9dd054bf-1dec-482a-a3ef-85ef0f62074b”
notificationSourceType “PrivateMessageReceived”
eventDate “2021-05-24T04:52:57.3442944Z”
isInteracted true
metadataCollection
AuthorUserName null
AuthorDisplayName null
AuthorUserId 0
BodyPreview null
MessageId 13667802377
EventDate “/Date(1621831977344)/”
Category “PrivateMessageReceived”
eventCount 1
6 Likes

ывапывапывап

This thing become again, i getting message from null

I can confirm that the issue has been recreated again, as @TechinalOfWizard has mentioned in their reply above.

I can reproduce this. Message from “null” normally happens when I have a group name change notification.

When I click, it brings me to this message:

Yep, today i get 16 message from null maybe it’s from trading, i don’t know
ывапыапыап

1 Like

I have the same issue, I got 11 messages from null

1 Like

I believe that I might know how this glitch is happening. You must be getting a system message from Roblox, however, the Notifications API is unsure of how to display a message being sent from Roblox in regards to a System Message, so that user defaults to… null for some reason? I’m not too sure, but I believe this is the case. Either that, or something else.

1 Like

Got the same issue, when I clicked on the message, it took me to a thread saying there was a group name change for a group I am in.

Video of me clicking on the notification:

https://gyazo.com/e64b3def249bfdbd040808785927a57e

It appears I am only getting this notification for group name changes, not for user messages.

Outputs;

Was getting this error before the outage (displayed in the video attached)

Private messages API returned status 200 on the conversation ID,

Looking from the output, there’s a couple of key things to note:

• Cannot read properties of null
  • reading ‘sender’
  • b.a.shouldShowSystemUser

From what I’m getting, the messages scripts on the Roblox website are trying to show the Roblox system user, but are returning null for some reason. I am assuming that a piece of code was recently committed to the site which may have broken the Roblox system message being able to show in notifications. Or something related to that. Hopefully this is fixed.

1 Like

i also had one message from null… but when i opened it it showed a message from the roblox bot that a group that i joined changed the name…

Hey @darkpixlz thx for liking lol

3 Likes