MessagingService is not working

The server error indicates the “server throttling requests due to load” when trying to SubscribeAsync. All PublishAsyncs are not working either. Haven’t updated the game in days and it only started happening about 2-3 hours ago.

23 Likes

We’re experiencing a massive performance drop / outage with MessagingService that started 2 hours ago at 8pm PST

10 Likes

My games are also being affected by this issue. MessagingService is just as essential, if not more essential than things like DataStoreService for some games, so it’s very damaging when it goes down. MessagingService has had major downtime like this multiple times over the past few months - it’s disappointing.

12 Likes

Having the same problem - I use messaging service for server lists and this error has only just begun occurring a few hours ago. I presume its because it’s likely suffering from an outage

9 Likes

The reliability of this service makes it unusable given how frequently it goes down.

You cannot rely on it for any game critical features, which really limits the types of games we can design on Roblox.

I wish they would let devs opt-out of these features and take a bigger revenue share so we could go deploy & upkeep these services ourselves.

14 Likes

:100::100: My game relies on it for matchmaking. If it goes down, the game is literally unplayable :smiling_face_with_tear:

11 Likes

Starting today, I have also encountered this issue. There were no restrictions before, but starting today, if there are more than 3 push attempts, this problem will occur.

11 Likes

Hey everyone. Thanks for the reports. We are actively working on a fix now.

15 Likes

Yes this just started recently happened. Slightly good thing cause now all my subscribe calls are protected and won’t crash the server

6 Likes

Any idea what triggers server crashes from MessagingService?

We noticed tons of servers were crashing and giving error code 279. Something in the way we subscribe/publish must be causing this, how we handle retries etc.

You can see our servers all die at 8pm:

8 Likes

For now I basically just double wrapped the calls in a pcall and a coroutine. That way (I think) it doesn’t yield on the server and cause everything else to stop working.
More generally would just recommend not having essential systems rely on messagingservice to function. Even global announcements can probably be done with memory stores with a bit of effort.

9 Likes

This has affected my game, Pastriez Bakery. Our training center uses messagingservice to create and manage its training servers.

10 Likes

Hey everyone. MessagingService is recovered now

18 Likes

Hi, I think we’d like to know why this has been happening and how it has been resolved, I think we deserve transparency in regards to the situation.

8 Likes

This was an absolutely breaking change for Arsenal and it resulted in ALL new servers being unable to start for what seems like a 7 hour period. It has resulted in our average session time dropping by HALF for the outage and will have resulted in who knows how much lost revenue and ruined first time user impressions (ESPECIALLY important since the recent release of PlayStation).

This was not a minor bug, and I’m hoping we get some insight as to how and why this happened, alongside what measures have been taken to ensure they don’t happen again. It’s random breaking changes like this that plague our games and have always been a source of worry regarding the platform.

9 Likes

Very well said. Engineers seem to underestimate the importance of uptime for services like MessagingService. For games that depend on it and are forced to turn away new players during downtimes, it can severely hurt their earnings and potentially affect their long-term success. Considering the recurrent issues in recent months, I’ve even been contemplating using HttpService with long-polling as an alternative to MessagingService (which is a last resort, mind you).

I hope Roblox can offer some clearer insight into the reason behind these disruptions and the measures they’re taking to prevent them from happening again.

5 Likes

Im still experiencing issues with messaging service. Now instead of throwing an error, it is just infinitely yielding when attempting to subscribe/publish a connection. Please fix this ASAP as this can be game breaking.

3 Likes

The output never prints out “2”. No error at all as well.

3 Likes

I can’t reproduce this. Are you testing it in a live game server?

5 Likes

Seems to have been fixed now. Still was very concerning considering the fact that it yielded infinitely with no errors or warnings.

5 Likes