MessagingService Release

There are already games with more than 10k concurrent players. This is not theoretical, it is a question of, what if these top games want to implement MessagingService with even one active subscription per player, right now?

7 Likes

Finally another awesome feature which benefits everyone!

Also, I do not think this is intentional.

8 Likes

This is known already.

6 Likes

Love it, but SubscribeAsync’s received arguments are so counter-intuitive. Good job though!

4 Likes

…why?

This is such a rigid limitation that pretty much ensures front page games can’t use this feature.

I’m assuming that this is just a temporary limitation to make sure everything works? @Seranok

Edit: Or does this mean unique subscriptions? @Ozzypig That would make more sense.

32 Likes

Where it says 30M for Message per topic per minute and per universe per minute, is the M for Messages or Millions?

1 Like

That’s sounds amazing! Can’t wait to make a game on it!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! This is what I have always been using a web server for, finally it is here! Thank god!

3 Likes

Is there any way to know if the message wasn’t sent?

5 Likes

Great Feature, all we need next is cross-game Messaging!

2 Likes

Don’t want to sham on a good release, but whoever wrote the wiki for the service did not do a good job on it.

For instance, the callback parameter in SubscribeAsync is a table, but the wiki doesn’t mention it.
image (testing out with a Hint instance)

local MessageService = game:GetService('MessagingService')
local hint = Instance.new('Hint',workspace)
MessageService:SubscribeAsync('Test',function(callback)
	--print(callback.Data,callback.Sent)
	hint.Text = tostring(callback.Data)
end)
game:GetService('Players').PlayerAdded:Connect(function(Player)
	Player.Chatted:Connect(function(msg)
		MessageService:PublishAsync('Test',('[%s]: %s'):format(Player.Name,msg))
	end)
end)

There’s also a spelling error on the SubscribeAsync page

I hope I’m not being too bashful, but I really enjoy the release and the potential it gives developers!

33 Likes

This is extremely good to have, great to see it made.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use this service to create a cross-server-matchmaking system?

1 Like

You’ll have to stringify a table for it is what I imagine. Sounds doable though.

1 Like

Isn’t there the 1Kb data limit though? Sending complex tables as JSONs would pass that, would it not?

7 Likes

YEES FINALLY I’ve been waiting for this forever, tysm! :heart:

2 Likes

So glad to see this feature is finally out, Been waiting for months!
Can’t wait to start making all sorts of cool stuff with this!

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it depend how much you’re putting on it though? I’d imagine just sending a table as such

local tab = {
  Players = {'Player1','Player2'}
}

would be good enough

3 Likes

Man, now I can make cross server maintenance shutdowns easier! Thanks so much! :smile:

1 Like

This is amazing!

1 Like