One of our priorities is providing you with the backend services needed to power bigger and better games. Today we’re proud to announce MessagingService – a way for game servers to communicate with each other in near real-time (< 1 second)!
The service provides two basic APIs:
- MessagingService:PublishAsync(), which sends a message to a topic
- MessagingService:SubscribeAsync(), which listens to a topic and invokes a callback whenever a new message is received
Some examples of what you can do with this feature:
- Cross server trading with notification regardless of what server they are in
- Keep a global leaderboard always up-to-date with top scores
- Enable players to chat with their friends who are in different servers
We are rolling this feature out initially to beta testers (see this thread on how to become a beta tester) before we open it up to all developers. This feature is now available to all developers.
To get started, visit our API documentation. Let us know what you plan to use this for and any other feedback you have!