Metal Reflections broke

Reproduction Steps
To reproduce this issue, you can place a part with a PointLight near a part with the Metal material. Notice that it does not cause the metal shine / reflection that used to exist.

Expected Behavior
BEFORE THE ISSUE

The metallic shine that used to make this scene beautiful is now gone, making it look bland and plain. I’d expect the scene to remain looking practically the same. This issue affects the visual quality of our game.

Actual Behavior
BEFORE

NOW

BEFORE

NOW

BEFORE

NOW

I’m not sure exactly when this started, but it was very recent.

(For Roblox staff looking to reproduce this problem, you can see it in this game by typing into the chat /e !goto_ea)

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-11-16 00:11:00 (-01:00)

8 Likes

Staff would probably want to reproduce this in a workspace where they could modify things. Maybe provide an roblox place file just containing the bug?

It should be dynamic indoor reflection. The reflection will update at runtime and so won’t remain the same.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like this is from Dynamic Indoor Reflections from what I can check. According to the Indoors Reflections post, we can disable it by turning specular scale to 0. However, even with this, the effect that used to exist is still gone, creating the images shown in the post.

I’m posting this as a bug because this was not an issue up until around the 16th of this month.

If this is intentional, we would like an option to disable this or to at least revert the change, as this is causing massive changes in the aesthetic of our games – for the negative.

1 Like

We had some special (hacky) code to make metal looks shiny at indoor environment. Now it was removed intentionally to be consistent with outdoor objects and have better performance.
Thanks for the report. It’s not a bug but we’ll keep a record and look for improvements.

1 Like