Methods for Wireframe Landscape?

I am trying to figure out how I would make a landscape (whether it be mesh or not) that look like the vaporwave/synthwave landscapes with the wire frame look, are there any ways you guys think I could do it?

3 Likes

You can watch the beginning of this video on how to model it in Blender:

If you follow these tips closely, you can export it into studio when you are finished.

5 Likes

Im actually a 3D Artist so I’ve messed around with it in blender already but the wireframe node is a shader, so its not saved on the texture, and even if I pre-bake the texture it doesn’t end up coming out right. Thats initially why I created the thread, sorry for not clarifying in the original post, thank you though :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is probably the most basic thing you could do but you could use wedges/triangle parts and later union them (or overall just make a mesh) to your leisure and afterwards. Setting the transparency to 0 and adding a texture onto it. I would also recommend to mimic a neon color by going beyond the usual 255 values. I will make an edit when I am able to show an example.

Edit: Whipped this up real quick, not the best example but it is something.

3 Likes

Build it from many parts in studio, then make a script to give every part a “SelectionBox” and set the adornee to the part, it may be less convenient for the lag on lower-end computers. but probably the easier route.

(Or you could take the long way and parent the selection box yourself, but that is unneeded work.)

1 Like

I would just suggest running the code in the command bar :3

1 Like

You could try making a terrain with parts, cloning it, giving the clone a glow material and a blue-ish colour or whatever you’d like (maybe offset it vertically by 0.01?), make a grid with negate parts, apply the negate parts to the terrain that’s not glowing, and maybe that’d work?
Although, it’s likely to crash, and it’s very bad for the frames

Im going to solution this for now as it makes the most visually pleasing solution with the least required work on my end, as well as on the games end. If I figure anything out ill update the thread.

1 Like

I want to propose a much easier solution than @HeyItzDaredevil. Instead of using parts and unions that make your building experience painful and tedious, I’m gonna show how to design a vaporwave landscape using meshes.

[Blender 2.7 Method]

Step 1:
Install Blender 2.7 or open it if you already have it installed.

Step 2:
Delete everything in your starter scene by pressing a and then x.
Press shift + a to insert a plane object into your blender workspace.

Step 3:
Press enter while you have your plane selected to go into edit mode.
Press alt + w to open your quick edit tab and click on subdivide to subdivide your plane.

Step 4:
Press ctrl + tab to switch to vertice selection mode and select a face anywhere on the plane.
Then press O to enter proportional editing mode.
Select your preffered proportional editing setoff.

Press s to enable scaling and then set your preferred editing radius with your mouse wheel.
After that proceed to pull up your selected vertices and create a mountain range of your liking.

Step 5:
Press ctrl + tab again and switch to edge selection mode.
Press A to select all edges in your mountain range mesh.
After having selected all edges press alt + w and select bevel.

Then proceed to bevel the edges to a thickness of your liking.

Step 6:
While having your edges selected, press p and seperate your selection to make it a seperate model.

Step 7: Select your 2 meshes separately and export them one by one as obj.

Once you arrive on the export page, make sure to select “Selection only” .

After you are done with that click the export OBJ button and then head to studio.

Step 8:
Import your 2 meshes into roblox studio and color them after your liking.

[The modelling process in Blender 2.8 is more or less the same]

If you have any further questions, I would be glad to answer them.

Thanks for reading! :grinning:

4 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Ill be posting the finished mesh and/or the .blend file for anyone that comes across this thread.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. You can still use this tutorial, but duplicate everything and add a skin modifier. Size down the skin modifier and color each duplication their respective colors. This should work fine.