Missing textures on objects in the Characters window on PS4/PS5

On items in the Characters window player can see some missing textures . Problem reproduced only on Playstation 4/Playstation 5 platform. At PC, mobile or Xbox this textures is no missing.

Game: Playgrounds Basketball - Roblox
Platform: PS4/PS5
Repro Frequency: 100%
Reproduction Steps:

1. Launch the game on PS4/PS5
  2. Get all the items
  3. Open the Characters window of any character
  4. Pay attention that there are partially no textures on the items

A private message is associated with this bug report

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

Hi ovvlman,

Can you confirm if the textures eventually load? I tried playing the game and noticed that Menu UI Wheel occasionally takes a longer time to load the images and eventually will load.

Hi SolarCrane,
We confirm that this issue still relevant at PS 5 platform. If player wait for some time at Customize menu some textures is still missing. We wait for some time for loading but nothing happened.
This bug reproduce now at PS 5 platform only.
At PS4 is worked well now for some reason.

Summary

Hello,

Looking at your repro video is it correct to assume that this is a Viewport Frame and the apparel items are 3d images with textures applied to them? Have you tried calling PreloadAsync on any of those textures so that they could be downloaded and in memory before they are displayed?

SolarCrane

Hi SolarCrane,
Specifically at this point - we do not use PreloadAsync, because it gives the player a very strong lag (the player presses the gui open button → waits a few seconds → opens). PreloadAsync is essentially just a code stopper until the asset is loaded, am i wrong?
In our case the problem is that the asset does not load at all (this problem is also platform special on PS5). Can we do something else or PreloadAsync is the only way to fix it?
Thanks for help!

1 Like

That’s correct, PreloadAsync should make that coroutine wait until the asset is loaded. This is useful for loading screens etc… where you may want to indicate the loading progress to the user. You can invoke these Async calls in spawned coroutines so it doesn’t block the user’s navigation of the UI on your game’s main execution path.

You mentioned some asset does not load at all – it seems like in the video the assets are eventually loading (around the 23 second mark). Is there something I am not noticing, please let me know.

SolarCrane

1 Like

Hi ovvlman,

Just wanted to check in and see if the PreloadAsync solution resolved the issue.

SolarCrane

Hi SolarCrane ,

You can see that some assets still missed there parts at 26 sec. Its not loading for any time later -

Problem only reproduced at ps5.

We would not like to use this PreloadAsync solution because it lead to lags for user. If there is no more solutions i gues that i need to mark your message and close this bug. Thanks for help!

Thanks for the red box outlines in the attached screenshot. I see the issue now, apologies I did not see it before. It seems that of those various pants in the store there are chunks missing and showing as white instead. I think the PreloadAsync won’t fix that issue, so let me send this over to the rendering team to get some input from them.

SolarCrane

1 Like

Thanks for the help again , SolarCrane.
Will wait for info.

The fix was just enabled for both PS4/PS5. Thank you for the report!