Mobile Control Gui Stopped Working

Reproduction Steps

We cannot reliably reproduce this issue in our other games. There game where this happens is Beat Runner (🎵Beat Runner🎵 [QUESTS] - Roblox). The game accesses the ControlModule from the PlayerModule in order to read the MoveVector of the thumbstick (we do ControlModule:GetMoveVector()).

This happens in Roblox studio as well for us and of course in prod games as well.

Expected Behavior

The game has run fine for at least 8 months now without us touching the mobile controls. They were just working before, nothing much more to comment here.

Actual Behavior

We do not have mobile controls (thumbstick). This happens randomly on our mobile devices (some have it some don’t).

The bug started happening around 10 hours ago. We reverted the game to a version from previous week. This did not fix it. It’s obviously something on the roblox side.

Did you update anything on the Mobile UI Controls?

Workaround

We disabled the game on mobile platforms but this is costing us half of our DAU

Issue Area: Mobile App
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Critical
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-06-07 14:06:00 (+01:00)

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! I filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll investigate the root cause of the issue. I’ll come back to you with updates when possible!

2 Likes

In the meantime, we created our own thumbstick that works the same way Roblox’s one does. It just happens that the default one disappears. We found this to be happening in studio as well, however, we cannot reproduce it in other places so we are quite lost.

Does this also affect the jump button?

We disabled that ourselves, could that be the problem?

No clue, my point was: does it disappear as well when controls don’t work? (not verifiable since you have the jump button disabled)

If it wouldn’t disappear then the possible cause could be Dynamic Thumbstick not working when there are active GUI elements within it’s area of activation

1 Like

Thank you very much!
I had a script that disabled all GUIs that were not involved. As a result, the GUI named “TouchGui” was disabled, which was built into the user interface and was responsible for mobile control.

Russian original

Большое спасибо!
У меня был скрипт отключающий все не задействованные GUI. В итоге отключалось GUI с именем TouchGui, которое встраивалось в пользовательский интерфейс и отвечало за мобильное управление.