Modeling an outer cage for avatar accessories

I finally managed to make a super accurate outer cage for an oversized sweater with no errors! Here are some tips that I wish I knew sooner.

If you ever find yourself trying to research how to make layered clothing, more so the outer cage, you probably tried to look up one of these errors:
cage vertices intersect clothing
unnecessary cage edits
not water tight
outer cage extends too far
modified uv map
non manifold geometry
the number of cage vertices between the outer and inner cage dont match
‘Scene’ object has no attribute ‘checkResult_IntersectionInner’

I encountered all of these errors many times until I learned a few specific tricks. It still takes me a long time to make an outercage… several hours. There just has to be more efficient techniques and if you know any please reply below.

Firstly check out this video. Its very simple but shows the entire process of making layered clothing. I didn’t make this video but I reference it all the time. The part about outer cage sculpting is a little too simple if you’re trying to make a more complex item but its a good start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxKg1btrRIQ

The easiest change I personally have made to how I make outer-cages is enabling the “Magic UV” addon.

With this addon you can use a lot more transformation tools and avoid the “modified UV map” error. For example you can now use Scale and Vertex Slide! After you’re ready to export your accessory, click the inner cage. Press copy and select “map1”.

Then select your outercage. Press paste “map1”

Then you can export with no modified uv map error!

Initially when I was making outercages, I thought the entire cage had to cover 100% of the clothes. This isn’t necessarily required.

My example is a screenshot taken from blender’s viewport. You can still see a lot of the sweater.

Looking a little closer, even though the sweater is clipping through the outer cage, all of the outer cage’s vertices are outside of the sweater. You can ignore this clipping without worrying about the “cage vertices intersect clothing” error, as long as every outer cage vert is visible.

As I was first learning to outer cage I also found myself wanting to reference other item’s cages. I couldn’t find out how to download cages from studio. However I did find this chrome extension: BTRoblox - Making Roblox Better (google.com)

There have been past instances of chrome extensions hacking accounts so I make sure to only install the extension in a separate browser with an alt account. This one does have 4,000,000 downloads but it’s best to practice good account security anyway!

After you install the extension, go to an accessories page. Click the menu by shopping cart. Follow my screenshot for the right menu and click the little chain link button to open the cage mesh page.

It’s a little hard to see in my screenshot but there is a download button. Click download as .obj and you can now import this cage right into blender.

A few more small things to keep in mind. The errors “not water tight”, “non manifold geometry”, and “the number of cage vertices between the outer and inner cage don’t match” can ALL be caused when vertices intersect each other. Make sure no outer cage vertices intersect any faces they shouldn’t, including the inner cage.

To avoid “unnecessary cage edits” try not to edit ANY vertices you don’t need to. Try to not use Proportional Editing on large areas. When sculpting make sure your brush has “front faces only” checked. Any unnecessary edits can be fixed by enabling snapping to vertex and then snapping to the inner cage.

That’s it! At least what I know. Please share any knowledge you have on editing outer cages efficiently. My technique still requires hours of patience depending on the complexity of the clothes. Either way it definitely takes some practice.

7 Likes

Do you know if the cage being water tight matters? I’ve used not water tight cages (e.g. holes at the top where the head is) and I don’t get the error. One of the issues I think might happen is clothing layered on top having nothing to attach to at the top and bug out.

1 Like

I don’t know if it “matters” per say as I don’t have ugc upload permissions. I can easily recreate the error by dragging one of the hand verts into the face of another hand vert.

I do know some areas of the cage are different though. I have seen this tweet which says to delete the arms of the cage for a dress.
https://twitter.com/Rover_roblox/status/1514775396998209545?s=20&t=5vBJm6EDEWJ8-9zcr3_3QA

1 Like

Found another technique for making outercages using the blender addon “SoftWrap”. Followed the tutorial on the blender market page, its pretty straight forward. Make sure to occlude areas of the cage you aren’t wrapping by using vertex groups like the tutorial mentions. Requires more practice for me to say much more but it’s worth looking into!

Found out more about caging. Firstly, you can fix some errors (notably modified UV map) with this data transfer modifier. Also allows you to edit cages with more tools, such as proportional editing and scale.

You can also mirror cages beforehand and it will work. Gave me some errors and unpredicted clipping, but worth experimenting with.

Found out block rig clothing as well. Acquire this blender plugin, “Roblox Toolbox”. They let you add the cages and block rigs. They will give you many errors when importing, but none of the errors prevented validation or uploading. Make sure to export FBX unit scale of 1 if you use the roblox toolbox cages/armature.

1 Like