Modeling: How to get passed that dreaded 10,000 triangle limit in roblox studio

Hello!

This will be a quick and simple tutorial for getting around the triangle count import limit in roblox studio. This tutorial is going to be for those very high triangle count models, that are 21,000+ triangles. Since we are lowering the triangle count, it may affect the quality of your model. So always save before!

Notice: I will be using blender for this tutorial.

Ok so, you got a sweet model from blender and you want to import it into roblox studio.
Look how beautiful it is!

Oh no! It has way too many triangles! And I’m too lazy to split it into 2 different meshes ):

Fear not! There is a very simple solution to this!

Navigate to edit mode and on the top left click mesh->clean up->Decimate Geometry
Notice: Please select all the vertices of the object before doing the next steps! Sorry.

Now click on Decimate Geometry and then on the bottom left of your screen a tab should show up, with a number.
Type in a number less than 1, and it will lower your triangle count! If it doesn’t lower your triangle count, go back through the steps and then it should lower the poly count.

This does indeed work, as I have done this with a tower I made which was at 190,000 triangles. Using this method, I brought it down to 19,000! And it also barley affected the quality of model.

21 Likes

The only problem with this, is in some cases you can have a really high-quality model that surpasses the 10k limit, then as soon as you lower it down it looks like a simulator game. Roblox needs to optimize and increase the limit :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

If you use the old avatar evolution beta build for studio you get a 50k triangle limit.

7 Likes

Smart mesh importer works as well

4 Likes

Ya but with big low poly builds the affect shouldnt be too bad.

1 Like

In my case, it no matter how much I lowered the quality of the mesh, it kept at the same triangle count.

3 Likes

Try adding a decimate modifier to the mesh.

3 Likes

Pardon the necropost, but I saw this today and had to take a laugh.

If your mesh exceeds 10k tris, there’s likely something wrong. Many AAA and Indie games rarely have meshes above 10k tris if they can help it, let alone anything bigger than that. You can have low-tris with extreme detail. I see it daily with many of the users in Roblox Architects. As soon as you break like the 5k threshold, your model is unoptimized and is bound to lag.

I was not, however, expecting a basic tutorial on the decimate function in blender. I think this is great advice to those new to blender. Bravo. :tada:

3 Likes

I typically use modifiers for this because it let’s you use vertex groups and decimates non-destructively (disabling modifier undoes it).

You can export models and select the “apply modifiers” check box so you don’t have to apply your modifiers, ever.

2 Likes