"Modern Studio" (new docking behavior) has various issues

UPDATE : This is not fixed as of 2/15/23. Looks like there’s been a regression.

From what I’ve seen it’s possible to fix with deleting a registry file. Hopefully if someone sends a corrupted registry file you will be able to reproduce it.

February, and still experiencing this bug.

I’ve had some issues with the animation editor in the past. But currently, I haven’t been able to use Studio in 4 days

Hello. I started having this problem yesterday. It happens when I open a game in Studio or when I stop a play session. This is making testing a game almost impossible as you have to restart Studio every 10 minutes.

It happens more often when multiple Studios are open.

You have Reset View and Studio is still unusable after? This would be the first we’ve heard of a case like this.

Could you post a screenshot? Is the widget in a separate window or is it overlapping something?

1 Like

We detected that you have a corrupt layout starting yesterday but have not restarted studio since detection. You need to restart studio and it should automatically reset your layout and resolve your issues. Please let me know if this is not the case.

1 Like

It actually got better today. Yesterday it happened almost every time I had 2 Studios opened. Today, when I launch studio and the problem happens it shows a new popup message telling about a “corrupted docking” and restart Studio. After the restart, Studio is normal again and I can work.

I’ll keep an eye and if the problem happens again, I’ll capture the screenshot and send to you.

2 Likes

I’m having several issues that are probably not described here yet (and are not related to malformed glitchy windows):

Whenever I open the animation editor the docking behavior will place the widget above the output. This is not how I set it. When closing and opening it again, it keeps docking above the output, when I really want the animation editor to be in the same position as the output (a tabbed interface).

The same issue applies to the asset manager (possibly terrain editor as well).

When closing a tab in the main viewport, such as a script, the “selected” tab will move over. Here’s an image after closing a few scripts:

Before closing:

Then, drag one of the scripts over. After closing one of them, it will look like:

(I had to add more scripts to demonstrate the effect)

As you can see, the “selected” tab is Baseplate.rbxl, when it should be Script.

A really easy to reproduce issue is with plugins. Open a plugin, move the widget around, close it, restart studio, and then see that the plugin moved. This usually happens when the widget is in tabbed mode.

Issues that have been fixed since I last checked:

• The object browser or any other persistent tab will not be selected when opening a place.
  • The object browser or any other persistent tab will stay in its previous position when opening a new session.

These are just minor issues that I’m having, and I don’t feel like they should be taken priority over the issues others are facing with malformed or broken windows.

1 Like

I am running into an issue where when you open up a second studio, the docking breaks in the second studio you open.

At the bottom you can see the windows opened for studio. The third window cannot be viewed, and the main window displays nothing.

Expected behavior:
I expect to see the viewport of the environment in the place’s first tab when I load my project in studio.

Steps to reproduce:

1. open up a place in studio
  2. open up a second place in studio

Currently, I have team create enabled, I am not sure if this is related but I thought I would include as much info as I can.

I have issues after pressing play that my window got cut out of my screen. I cannot move it back and even after quiting the experience it continue to be broken.

If anyone know a solution, I would gladly hear it! I already try to reinstall my Roblox but even then the issue continues. Maybe is there a way to fully remove it?

Screen:

I am also experiencing this! It is really frustrating to deal with and I cannot seem to find any fix for it.
This is what mine looks like:

The studio viewport is “offset” so badly I have to close the 2nd place I have open just to continue working normally. With this bug, it is not possible to have two studio places open simultaneously.

1 Like

Hi @Myzta @Beartikal Are you still facing this?

@PixelCrypth It seems that your case has been resolved itself. Please let me know if this is not the case.

1 Like

It seem that it got resolved indeed! I forgot to post the solution, my apologies. But when I tried out the solution from @MeshOfPaul it solved my roblox studio. Many thanks again for the great help that you guys give the community!

The solution:

3 Likes

After a few days of this issue occuring, something odd happened and my studio application became corrupt. I had to delete my local files and reinstall both studio and the roblox player. After that the issues appeared to clear up.

2 Likes

Different issue, it seems, but also related to the UI overhaul. I’ll have some panels open on the side of my studio window like the Toolbox and Asset Manager, and when I collapse them Studio starts lagging extremely hard until I expand them back out.

Also, if I have a script open in the main window, Studio will lag a bunch until I pop the script editor out into its own window. I’ve had lag issues relating to the new UI since last week and it’s been very frustrating.

Are you using an Nvidia G-Sync monitor?

Yeah, these were recorded on my main monitor with G-Sync enabled. I actually noticed after I posted that these issues didn’t occur when I had Studio open on my second monitor, which doesn’t have G-Sync. Seems like disabling G-Sync when Studio is open via NVIDIA Control Panel fixes the issues as well, thanks for the reply! It’s still a really odd bug though, I hope that gets fixed soon.

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue before, and the workaround is to change G-Sync to fullscreen mode.

2 Likes