"Modern Studio" (new docking behavior) has various issues

By the way, we deployed a fix for this last Thursday (5/27/2023) and we have gotten very little confirmation from the Community that this issue has been resolved. Our internal reproductions were solved by this fix but we didn’t have a high number of people getting this problem to begin with.

I understand people usually only post when they have problems or complaints but it’s nice to hear if things are working better too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One issue that has been slightly bothering me is DockWidgetPluginGuis doesn’t seem to have the issue of “windows moving upwards every time studio reloads the last position”, and only seems to be affected by the Explorer, Properties and Output displays.
I’m using 2 monitors for my workspace.
By the way, is DockWidgetPluginGuis not allowed to snap? Windows 10 has the ability to snap windows when you drag them into borders or corners of any monitors, but for some reason roblox doesn’t seem to allow windowed DockWidgetPluginGuis to do so…

Hi, I have just started encountering this issue for the past 2 days now. It’s happening every single time I do a play test and it’s getting pretty annoying now

I’ve been getting this bug lately:

Not entirely sure how to reproduce it as it seems pretty random. I am unable to scale them in anyway once they get stuck in that position. I left studio with them in normal form, and came back to this.

It will only let me put it in this tiny box:

1 Like

We are working on full fixes for docking. No ETA yet but it’s a top priority to fix completely as soon as possible. In the meantime, Reset View should clear things up temporarily.

2 Likes

Is this still a problem for you today? Most people with this issue say it has gone away with v574 of Studio.

If the 3D Viewport is black or rendering outside of Studio, this is docking corruption and we are working on that. Your only temporary fix is to Reset View. Some seem to think it’s related to having multiple monitors and multiple Studio instances running.

1 Like

Excellent, keep up the good work.

1 Like

I’ll attempt to reproduce later today and will get back to you with my findings.

1 Like

Hey @MeshOfPaul! Sorry for the late response, was occupied with some things.

I tried reproducing the issue with multiple files open and I was not able to reproduce the viewport detaching itself & bricking. However, I’ve said that before and the bug ended up coming back a week later… so take what I say with a grain of salt. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Frequently, when I finish playtesting the viewport will snap to my second monitor, and if I try to close it it will crash studio

Another things is whatever this is

Yeah keep an eye on it! We did initially release a couple quick fixes that could have temporarily resolved it but the most recent release we felt pretty good about.

It’s tricky with these issues that we have a hard time reproducing internally. We try to get our “best guess” fix out and then hope the Community gives us more information. In this case, we were able to get some additional logging in with the initial quick fixes which ultimately gave us the clues needed to do a more informed fix.

This is exactly the challenge with the docking corruption issues… except it is 10 times more complicated of a problem and even harder to reproduce. But progress is happening!

2 Likes

This is probably docking corruption which is a slightly different issue than the one we resolved last week. We are working on this one but it’s taking a while to fully diagnose. Try to Reset View for temporary relief (but it will probably come back).

1 Like

That seems to work temporarily, thank you

1 Like

Great! I apologize the issue is happening at all. We are doing as much as we can to permanently fix it.

1 Like

The viewport detatching after ending a test play session has been occurring at an incredibly frequent rate for me that it’s making studio practically unusable. I run two instances of studio open at once, one on each monitor. The second instance has about a 20% chance of popping out the viewport and completely breaking everything, requiring a studio restart. Is there any kind of log I can send to help fix this faster, or any way to just turn docking off entirely? I have used the Reset View and it comes back within an hour

2 Likes

Viewport detaching after ending a test play session is still occurring. It cannot be redocked and I have to close studio and ensure that I only re-open studio with only a single place open to prevent it from detaching. This at least, appears to be a good workaround. But it means I can open work in one place.

Cause (for me): Having 1 team-create place open and another place open. Play solo in the team create then stop the game. The viewport detaches. The second place I have open is usually a local place file.

Detaching of any panels is the docking corruption issue which we are actively working on as a priority. While it’s likely highly reproducible for you following those steps you described, it’s likely this is very specific to your machine configuration. Are you on Windows 10 by chance?

We are making progress on a full fix. In the meantime, you should be able to Reset View and work normally until the corruption happens again.

1 Like

I’d like to hop in and say I also experience the viewport detaching when I have two Studio windows open. I’m on the latest version of Windows 10 Pro N (media pack installed) and have two 4K monitors set to 125% scaling. Can add any other details if needed

1 Like

Yes I use Windows 10. Thanks for addressing this bug!

Now game dock is separate randomly when I enter studio
And it’s impossible to do anything at all.

edit: docks dont even reset (ctrl + p >reset view)