Monetisation - Successful Gamepasses and Developer Products

It’s been about four days and I’m back here again with another development question about game monetisation. The developer whom I’m working with and myself are looking to find out what types of gamepasses and products sell the most in order to maximise our profits once we release our game. I have four main questions.

Questions

Question One:
“What are the most effective, and best selling gamepasses to sell?”

Question Two:
“What are the most effective, and best selling development product to sell?”

Question Three:
“Are there any products users aren’t interested in much?”

Question Four:
“On what basis do you go off of to fairly price your gamepasses and developer products without pricing out the player?”

Once again, it would be nice to know what you personally think, and I would also appreciate any veteran developers commenting and sharing their findings whilst making games. We want our game to be the best it can be in terms of making Robux and gameplay.

This will be for an RP game, with a college campus, customisable accommodation and different job roles for users to undertake, just for a little bit of background context. I’m also looking for any ideas you might have for a game like this too.

Previous Post:

5 Likes
  1. Gamepasses should be things like special content, limited offers and bundles imo
  2. Boosters. R2DA does this very well.
  3. Depends. You should do focus groups on the people that would be playing your game
  4. Consider your audience and look at similar games and how they price stuff
> Information was here, but has been omitted
  • You should also have an in-game shop. You can require a test purchase as part of the game’s tutorial.
  • You can use a psychological tactic called anchoring. Promote purchases that are above most people’s spending point (~ R$ 250-500+) early on in the game, and then when someone sees a purchase for a lower price, they’re more likely to take it.
  • Look at the RoCitizens case study on starter packs.

The best way to have good monetisation is to look at similar games (both on and off Roblox), see what they do, what they make, etc.
Only you can make a decision about what would be good for your game.

8 Likes

Agreed with all of your points except this one:

Being completely honest, I think that ‘fake events’ or ‘fake sales’ are dangerously close to a deceptive practice, and would personally steer clear of that in my own games. It’s certainly not against the rules (edit: this is illegal in the UK at least!), but I don’t think players would take kindly to it if they were to find out about it.

From many of my own experiences on and off of Roblox, losing the trust of your community will almost certainly negate the extra ‘boosts’ you may get from these tricks. The reverse is also true by the way - being more transparent and open will make people more inclined to buy from you.

I would almost always class something like this as shady, and something which would damage the trust between the developer and the community. Don’t do it.

14 Likes

That’s illegal here in the UK. I’d seriously recommend you don’t try this.

6 Likes

I’m interested in your source?

I’ve heard of the ASA/CAP condemn it, but they have no legal power.

I’m not an expert on this, but I am 99% sure if an established business in the UK was using this tactic, it would be settled pretty quickly.
Here, and on other pages, it states:

You cannot mislead or harass consumers by, for example:

• including false or deceptive messages

This would fall under that law. Regardless of legality, it’s clearly misleading and unethical. I think the same point applies with your other point about ‘anchoring’. While not illegal, I think it could be considered immoral to manipulate people into buying products simply because they are cheap, not for the product itself.

To put this reply into proper use for OP, it’s probably best to make your gamepasses actually useful and convenient to the player (without making them pay to win). Pricing tactics and psychological tactics are pretty cheap ways of getting people to buy things (in my personal opinion). Make people want to buy things for their inherent value, not because they look cheaper than they are.

5 Likes