Monster Slayer | A Rogue-like Bullet Hell game!

Hey! I’ve recently updated my game called “Monster Slayer”, a Rogue-like Bullet Hell game inspired in games like Vampire Survivors, Brotato and 20 Minutes Till Dawn.

Small Thread Update 11/8/23

Game explanation (Skip it if you want to discover by yourself):

You’re in a lobby, there are 4 locations you can go (for now).
Leaderboards (self explanatory)
Upgrades (You’ll be able to spend your Crystals in there for a permanent upgrade)
Blacksmith (Your inventory)
and the center, where you’ll be able to create a party and select a zone to play a run.

When you enter a run, you’ll have to survive for 15 minutes, during that, waves of enemies will come and try to kill you. Everytime you kill an enemy, it’ll drop xp for your in-game level, when you level up, you’ll be able to select 1 from 3 random skills that appears in your screen, each skill it’s different, they vary from increasing your damage up to summoning meteorites that falls down from the sky.

Every 5 minutes a Boss will appear with their respective set of abilities and behavior. After killing it, it’ll drop a chest that will heal you and grab all XP dropped around the map. An addition to that, you’ll be able to loot an equipment related to the zone.

At the end of the run there will be a summary of your statistics during the run, which are related to obtaining Crystals (in-game currency).

That’s pretty much it, hope i’ve made a decent summary so you know if you want to try it out or not.
I probably forgot something, but i’ll let you discover.

Content:

For now, the games content are only 3 zones, Forest, Desert and Ocean, with their respective enemies and unique bosses for each zone.
24 In-Game Upgrades/Skills.
27 Weapons, 14 Trinkets and 9 Skins.
Player Upgrades, Equipment Merge, Equipment Levels, etc.

I just wanted to know some opinions about the game, what do you think as a concept, how do you feel playing it, etc., anything that comes to your mind and want to tell me, i’ll read you :slight_smile:

[Game Link]
[Groups Link] (Optional)

if you have knowledge about sponsoring, i would appreciate some recommendations, i only have 7k Robux, so i want spend them wisely. (This is optional, you don’t have to tell me anything about sponsoring if you don’t want to)

I’m aware that some PCs/Phones may get some frame drops, I’m still thinking of ways to increase the performance of the game without affecting the visuals of the game too much.

That’s it, thanks for reading :slight_smile:

Small footage during the Alpha playing with my friend.

17 Likes

Haven’t gotten too far into the game, but I have a few things I think need to be improved/changed:
1: This is picking that nit pretty hard here, but I think it’d be nice if there were also arrows pointing towards the “Play” and “Upgrade” areas in the lobby. It just feels kinda unfinished to just have a textlabel without a background by the areas. Just adding a nice background to the textlabel could also work, though!

2: Not aiming my own attacks just makes the game feel less fun. All I really need to do is focus on movement upgrades and just run away constantly, because I never have to think about attacking. Just controlling where I shoot my sword would make the game a lot more fun, in my opinion.

3: Enemies just chasing/doing projectiles on death feels unchallenging. Since I don’t have to think about attacking, I just have to keep dodging, and it’s the only thing I have to worry about. It doesn’t have the excitement or challenge of other bullet hell games (to be fair though, I only ever played medium on the first level, and got to the red slimes, but for the average player, why would they keep going if they aren’t immediately engaged in the combat? I think fun to fight enemies should be first, even if they aren’t that challenging to fight). The fun part of a bullet hell, at least to me, is how challenging it is, and how it really requires you to learn a bit about the enemies and play a lot to get better. Destroying everything instantly just doesn’t feel that fun

4: Lack of dash or dodge mechanic makes movement a bit boring. It’s not too important, but it just feels fun to be able to dodge.

5: Combat feels slow because swords shoot slow, and slime projectiles (at least the red slime’s) travel slowly. It isn’t fast paced like you’d expect in a bullet hell.

6: This is incredibly minor, but it is a bit confusing to know my level when in-game there’s multiple things that will say my in-round level, but then above my character’s head it’ll say the real(? don’t know what to call it) level I am.

I really do hope you improve the game, because other than the few issues I have, I do think you’ve got a great game with a lot of potential. I like the art and look of the lobby a lot, and I wish you the best on how your game goes!

5 Likes

Also, I leveled up as soon as a boss spawned, and the boss de-spawned and the fight just never started

4 Likes

Thanks for this review! Really appreciate it.

I tried to copy the style of movement of Vampire Survivors, i found it atractive to kill and level up, and i thought that it would be easier to play in PC and in Mobile, and that’s the second part on why there is no manual shooting, i wanted to keep it simple so it’s easier to play, but seems that i made it too simple.

I avoided doing a dash movement because i was thinking on phone, but now that you’ve mention it, i could replace the Jump Button with a Dash Button, would be neat for movement.

About the first minutes of playing, you’re absolute right, it should be more engaging. The game is engaging (in my opinion), but the first stages can be a little bit boring, since i thought that the player is new, i shouldn’t fill them with a really challenging game, more like a slow phase to a harder challenge.
(I want to say that Bosses in the Ocean Zone are challenging, but you’re right, why would i keep playing if the first 5 minutes aren’t interesting).

I’ll take in consideration the projectiles speed, and yeah, i will add arrows and background to the labels on the Lobby, that’s a good idea.

About the 6th point, it’s a good point, i didn’t found it confusing because i was developing it, but having your Player Level and In-Game Level in multiple places it’s weird.

Again, thanks, you’ve gave me a very good review about the game :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sorry for this, it was a bug, should be fixed.

2 Likes

I feel like 15 minutes may be a bit too long for some players. Everything else looks amazing though. Great work!

3 Likes

Played the game with a friend just a bit and the hitboxes are also a bit out of wack. We couldn’t beat the green slime boss because we were getting hit when none of us were even near his projectiles/him. I hope you can find a solution to it, and I’m sorry for the fact I couldn’t find any better explanation/record the problem!!!

4 Likes

I’ll take a look into that. Just to remind, if you’re lagged you’ll probably get weird hitboxes due that they’re calculated in server to avoid exploiters.
Thanks for reporting to, hope you’re enjoying the game with your friends :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a small update to this thread!

I’ve finished a Small Update for the game regarding the lobby, thanks to the feedback in this thread i was able to improve a little bit the visuals of the lobby, in addition, i’ve changed the visual on the evolve (since i’ve seen one of my friends struggling with it, i thought making it more friendly would help, and i was gonna change it anyways so). Appart from that, i’ve also added a way to select your title.

Apart from the visual, i’ve been fixing bugs and balancing a little bit some things.

For clarification, this is not in live servers yet, i want to fully test it out to avoid bugs. Hopefully this small update will be soon released.

Short video showcasing the visual changes.

Incoming Updates

I've been thinking on adding a Dash ability (Thanks TomskiKiller for the idea) and while i was thinking about it i said: "why not, more abilities than a Dash?"

I was thinking on adding a section where you could select your main ability, there could be Dash, or maybe you don't like moving too much but rather scaring the enemies, so you could choose Fear to scare the enemies around you, or maybe you want to be a support for your teammate, so you could place a Banner that could Heal your teammeate or boost your stats.

Apart from the abilities, i was thinking on adding a Prestige, maybe a Prestige Upgrade where you would get a reset on all of your upgrades but you’ll be able to buy a better upgrade. This sounds kinda weird so i’m just gonna leave it like that.

And one last idea that was rounding around my head was adding Pets, not that Simulator pet that boosts your stats, well, maybe, but there’s more, i wanted to add pets that you’ll be able to “re-roll” their abilities, maybe one ability it’s to deal damage around enemies, or maybe some kind of taunt, or maybe a revive ability.

– Side note: After writing this part, i couldn’t help but notice that everything will be too easy for the player and it’ll end up being a farming simulator (maybe). I’ll see what i could do to balance things out, maybe adding special monsters, monsters that appears with an aura or some kind of particles making them more powerful, maybe more health? more damage? more speed? Or maybe not adding some features.

TL;DR; I'm thinking on adding an Ability Slot, the default one will be Dash, but you'll be able to change it for different ones (to be decided).
- Some sort of prestige but for upgrades, you'll lose every upgrade but you'll be able to purchase better upgrades.
- Pets with abilities that will help you out.
- Side note: If i add everything that's above, the game will be so easy to play, so maybe adding better monsters or monsters with mutations or just not adding some features.

If you have read until here and you want to leave an opinion/comment, i’ll be happy to read :smiley:

2 Likes

I think for the pets idea, you could add a no pets mode and pets mode like how you choose difficulties, and then make it so pet mode is locked to a certain high difficulty, or since there’ll probably be rarities, make certain rarities make it so you can only play a certain difficulty or higher.
For the ability idea, it’d probably be best to make it so you have to level up abilities to get them at their best, to help things be even more balanced.
That’s all the suggestions I have! It’s great seeing all the progress you’ve made and all the ideas you might work on! Even if you don’t end up adding every thing, better monsters and different monster abilities or types and whatnot would still be great additions. I hope I wasn’t too late, and that my input can still be helpful!

2 Likes

games amazing had a blast playing it!

1 Like

Thread pump! Game got updated a ton!

Note: i didn’t want to make another thread if this one already exists.

Game got updated a lot! Thankfully, it got some recognition and has some players in it. I’ve used most of the robux i’ve earned into ads, that resulted the most.

I’d recommend checking out the game, even if you’ve played it! A new zone, new mechanics, cards, etc.

Small video, simply showcasing the new card selection and some things that you might find:

An image i’ve posted in Twitter and the Discord server summarizing the lastest update:

1 Like