More information about our DMCA policy

I believe they will be working with users that have suffered before, possibly reversing action or dealing with it in some way.

7 Likes

Thank you for clarifying on this. But I’ve been on roblox since 2008. Ive posted alot of assets on to groups I do not own anymore and I do not remember which groups they were. I have attempted to find all the assets under my account by sending an email. Is there some sort feature that I can see all the assets I’ve posted on groups that I am currently not in?

4 Likes

On my audio page I have 10+ audios that say ‘Removed for copyright’ which were created 2-3 years ago. Does this mean I will soon be banned? Do I still need to request these are removed?

18 Likes

I’ve seen a person get a permament ban.

Isn’t it too late?

6 Likes

This is just the beginning of the solution we all wanted it. Thank you for this clarification!

5 Likes

If it was 100% due to copyright, then I don’t see why they wouldn’t work with the user and eventually reverse the termination.

6 Likes

A permanent ban still retains everything on the account, to my knowledge. They don’t completely wipe the account immediately.

5 Likes

I’m aware (I know it from my own experience), but I’m still skeptic about how it will be handled.

6 Likes

It has to do with the rules & regulations with DMCA. Roblox is required by the DMCA to ban users for being egregious with copyright issues.

It puts Roblox in a tough place, and it’s difficult to manage.

5 Likes

This post has greatly reassured me on how this particular kind of issues will be handled should they occur. I appreciate Roblox coming forward with this, as it is a great step forward towards the kind of transparency we expect from a professional development platform.

As captain Mercer once said, “Two thumbs, way up.”

6 Likes

I still find this pretty nerve-racking, is this considered for any strike or does it depend on the infringing behavior? It just doesn’t seem to comply with repeat infringement.

8 Likes

If someone has 1 or more strikes can they still DevEx?

27 Likes

Can we mass remove assets? Because I have hundreds of assets I uploaded years ago that may be copyrighted. Also, can’t you just make a system to automatically remove copyrighted assets just like you did with the audio?

4 Likes

I’m incredibly glad and relieved to hear that developers will be offered the opportunity to file a counter notification, and that there will be a 45-day leniency period.

This is huge. Roblox Developers’ assets being stolen and used in other games has been a pronounced concern. It’s even led to private inventories becoming a feature. I hope that this new system will help developers ensure that the assets they upload to Roblox are not used without their permission.

36 Likes

It’s nice to finally get information, but this still doesn’t clarify a lot of things. Termination for three strikes still feels way too extreme, especially when users who don’t even know about the email process and have old accounts with many copyrighted assets could get three strikes easily. On top of that, we don’t even know if strikes are permanent or if they wear off like Youtube strikes. Overall, to me and many others at least, this system feels more like a looming threat than an efficient way to manage DMCA takedowns, especially when the policy is retroactive and old assets can get you terminated.

I speak for myself, and I hope many others when I say that 3 strikes and a termination is absolutely ridiculous with a retroactive policy, let alone one that most users most likely haven’t even heard of.

12 Likes

Do we have permission to use items such as the Aquaman Hat or Captain America’s Shield without chaces of receiving a strike?

Are we also able to use the packages Roblox has bought the rights to use without us having to buy the rights to use them as well? Or does this put us in infringing territory as well?

If the answer to either of the the above is false than would players being able to bring those Roblox assets into the game possibly warrent us a strike as well?

17 Likes

I think having a feature in the inventorys ex: models, meshes, decals etc that we can check as made by me so we can sort out what is any free models or what you made etc.

Edit: come to think of it there is the create tab, I am probably mentionin something that you can basically do in that. Just I don’t use it for models just places and any decals and meshe’s

1 Like

You can do this by going into the create tab, it even shows stuff you’ve made that you removed from your inventory.

1 Like

Thought of it after I posted but I wasn’t sure about models

1 Like

It’ll show models, don’t worry. It’d be more efficient to just save over models of copyrighted assets with a grey brick than emailing, however.