More information about our DMCA policy

I only have a few models published that I made of just objects, but what about any free models you have in your normal inventory are those fine? Or is that also going to be effected. Do you know anything about that?

If they weren’t uploaded by you or used in a game, then you won’t be given a strike for them.

1 Like

If a developer uploads multiple assets from the same source and receives a DMCA claim against them, will they receive a strike for each individual asset or one for all of the offending assets uploaded?

8 Likes

What’s the IP policy on Roblox assets such as decals/meshes/models uploaded to the Roblox library?

According to the main post, they will be grouped as one strike:

2 Likes

My concern here is for people that have licensed content. Many of the mp3 audios that myself and my group has uploaded are legally there but have been flagged for copyright. We have a legally-binding paid license to upload them. We pay nearly 300 dollars each year and Roblox ignores it. There needs to be a process to unflag audios that are licensed as well as a place to place a license in the upload process.

I am worried that myself and others could be wrongfully flagged and further action against us taken because of this.

Edit 1: I have emailed info@roblox, appeals@roblox, and messaged many DevForum staff about this to no prevail. As a Roblox developer, I need clarification on this.

Edit 2: For Roblox staff, we have a Christian Copyright Licensing International license which allows for us to upload and save tens of thousands of popular Christian mp3 files. We upload these, otherwise copyright-infringed, tracks knowingly since we have a legally bounding license.

14 Likes

How does roblox models and your places copyright work is it automatically as long as it’s yours or do you have to apply to get your stuff and builds/games copyrighted under your name or developer group. Or is it a entirely different thing under roblox themselves

What is that status of using names of objects in games that reflect real life?
For example, one of my games is heavily based around vehicles for a mode of transportation - these vehicles are named like vehicles in real life (Eg. Ford Focus, Mercedes Vito etc.). They also have somewhat resemblance to them (through the use of meshes)

Are these vehicles, and other objects with a similar concept, allowed?

2 Likes

Similar concepts are mostly likely allowed, but not the actual cars themselves.

I’m wondering what will happen to those who have permission to use copyrighted stuff…
For example, I’ve gotten permission from NS (Dutch Railways) to use their logo in my game, what does this mean for me?

This will affect a lot of front page games, won’t it?
Games like Ultimate Driving and Vehicle Simulator - are they not based around real life cars?
Phantom Forces also resembles a lot of real life weapons?

3 Likes

If GTA means anything, you can base things on real cars. You just can’t blatantly use real life cars in your games unless you have permission.

2 Likes

You should be in the clear if you have permission. If they (NS) submit a DMCA against your game, you can submit a counter notification according to this post or contact them directly.

If you have permission, they certainly have logged it and shouldn’t send a DMCA against you in the first place.

2 Likes

I’m glad there was given more information on this. I’m no longer worried about getting my account terminated for nothing :slightly_smiling_face:

The clarification is very much appreciated, but a “three strikes and you’re out” policy must come with a fair method for strikes to expire.

I appreciate this thread being left unlocked. However, please remember to address the questions here in addition to reading feedback.

• Do strikes expire? (They should)
  • Will users be able to see their strikes?
  • Are assets uploaded to groups you no longer own still associated with your account and liable to get you a strike?
  • Will this be announced on the website to make old non-devforum users aware of the takedown email and this new strike policy?
  • Will strikes be given for very old content?
  • Can we freely use assets uploaded by Roblox in our games that belong to external copyright holders (ie. Aquaman)?
  • How do we communicate to Roblox that we have a license to use copyrighted content?
20 Likes

I think it’s been made clear with the email for old assets that this will be the case. It’s unnecessary, Roblox is under no legal obligation to actually terminate users. A warning saying something along the lines of “Don’t upload copyrighted content or you’ll get a strike” for old assets would be much more reasonable.

The sad thing is just that Roblox has the power to not terminate users for old assets, they would be 100% fine just deleting the assets and warning users. However, they think it’s necessary to terminate users for mistakes they made as children instead of handling this in a reasonable matter.

10 Likes

We’re going to be transitioning to fictional brands and models. Very very long process.

@TwentyTwoPilots godspeed!

8 Likes

very very very very long process, see y’all in a year when I finally finish :grimacing:

8 Likes

God speed the pair of you.

Hopefully, you get it sorted faster than the lawyers, hehe.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the clarifications. It makes me feel a lot better knowing how the process works.

It’s good to know that the fear of just getting randomly banned for having copyrighted content is no longer!