More Post-processing Effects

Just wondering if we are going to get more post-processing effects anytime soon.

Would love to see some of these effects showed in the video added!

38 Likes

Depth of Field probably requires a HECK of a GPU to run.

8 Likes

A common approximation for the purpose involves doing a fullscreen blur and then lerping between the original and the blurred render targets in the shader based on the depth value from the framebuffer. It costs little more than a normal fullscreen blur, but produces somewhat low quality results.

14 Likes

I know CoD on Pc has dof options and the more you put the laggier it gets, perhaps incorporate how much it blurs based on graphics level or a variable devs can change… I don’t know :woman_shrugging:

If we knew we aren’t getting depth of field, zeuxcg lighting is our second bet. :wink: :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

Ya, so pumped for that lighting system.

I really want to see the last place in this years egg hunt with the new lighting system enabled. qq

7 Likes

Its been 3 years and we have only received like 1 or 2 more processing effects over that period of time. We have game engines like Unity that have way more post processing effects. And I think its about time for roblox to have some more too :wink:

19 Likes

7 years ago, an engineer estimated that instead of going through the trouble of implementing custom shaders, they could instead release 30 post-processing effects.

As of 2023, we still only have around 5 post-processing effects (Bloom, Blur, Sunrays, DepthOfField and ColorCorrection, most of which were released in 2016 apart from DoF).

What gives? Why don’t we have effects such as a grain effect, chromatic aberration, fisheye lens, a toon/cel shade effect, more blurs such as radial blur/directional blur/motion blur, vignette, distortion, lens flare etc?

Post-processing effects statement:

24 Likes

Roblox really should leave vintage times where there are lots of minitations here and there. Right now it feels kinda limiting. Either we have "very low lighting range cap, no lighting attenuation, no LuaDoc or even limited skybox with sun/moon movement.

I hope roblox breaks those limitations in the future, especially lighting range cap and attenuation(ALTHOUGH studio FiB build has no lighting range cap, I have no idea why wasn’t that ported to original build). These I consider the worst limitations in my opinion. Lighting and post-processing really help getting atmosphere right.

So Roblox, please break limitations. Again, we do not live in 2015.

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting for UIBlur in images and UIAcrylic for 5+ years at this point. Still stuck blurring images manually in photoshop and having to upload them. Would be SO helpful for making my UI better and save me a lot of time.

7 Likes

I’d love this, or an API of any sort that allows us to play with the rendering engine, even if it’s minimal.

4 Likes

It seems like Roblox has a tendency to impose limitations on certain aspects. For instance, there are limitations on FOV (Field of View) and Particle Size. If you wish to adjust the particle size beyond 10 and utilize graphs, you need to use a command line. Additionally, there is an arbitrary restriction on FOV, preventing it from being set higher than 120. Will someone face repercussions if the FOV is set to 150 or higher?

The issue extends to shaders as well. Why hasn’t Roblox made any progress in this area? Implementing a simple color-correction API would greatly improve the situation. The color-correction effect in 2023 is a silly joke, lacking support for channels, depth, and other essential features.

I fail to comprehend why Roblox seems to disregard the pleas from users for camera distortions, glitches (such as chromatic aberration), and fish eye effects. It appears that very little is being done in response to these requests. Am I mistaken? When was the last significant update to the lighting system?

3 Likes

The answer is always “because mobile.” They’re way too adamant against disabling features for certain
markets and it’s genuinely infuriating for developers who only make products for one certain market.

The second answer is always “because it’s hard.” And, it sucks, but Zeux is damn right. It’s reaaally hard. And, I really appreciate the fact that the Roblox engineers are working their butts off to introduce these features that are difficult to implement, but the engineers are working other hard things that we aren’t yearning for as much as others, so… why?

As people who are developing a product, we should be the ones to make the tough decisions for our product. It’s common knowledge that ultimatums are always forced upon developers, especially over the smallest implementations. Why aren’t we able to have that with features that we want to put in our game?

I strictly make games for computers because I don’t enjoy playing mobile games. So, why am I being forced under so many restrictions as if I’m making a game for mobile? Why can’t we have a modal or message that says “This feature is only available for Desktop and Console players.” if we try to use a certain feature while the Mobile box is ticked in Game Settings? Why can’t some properties be crossed out if a certain game setting is enabled? Why do we not have as much control as we should?

My biggest problem with the engineers at Roblox is that it seems that they a see small hurdle and say “alright. looks like we can’t do it. let’s go home.”

In the end though, we are not Roblox engineers and we are definitely not nearly as smart as those who are working on an entire engine. So, let’s cut them some slack and not point so many fingers - we can’t see the world through such a tiny peephole.

3 Likes

Can you please make the Video Non Private?

Although motion blur may be good for Roblox.

1 Like

Can we get UI blur instead of Depth Of Field?

Depth of Field is gonna be more laggy than 2D space blur that only blurs what’s behind it by shading colours together instead of 3D space.

5 Likes