Most Efficient way to do Floating GUI? + Issues with multiple connections?

I am currently coding a module that lets you create floating “E” GUIs that the user can interact with similar to that in Jailbreak / Adopt me.

To create a floating GUI, you give the module:

• A part for it to follow
  • Text to display by its side
  • A function to run when it is triggered

An “E” GUI is represented by an ImageLabel in the PlayerGUI.

The system currently works as follows:

Each “E” circle is represented by an object held in a table. Every RenderStepped, that table is iterated and any circles within X studs of the player are displayed using :WorldToScreenPoint()

Circles too far away are hidden.

However, this can prove inefficient when the player has a large number of floating GUI objects that exist in the table. It will be regularly processing GUI objects that are incredibly far away, causing performance issues.

I have a few ideas on how to fix this issue:

Region 3
I could iterate through all the parts within 15 studs of the player and check if any of them are a property of one of the GUI objects.

However, this would require a nested for loop, one of which would check every existing “E” GUI.
So I am not as sure about its performance.

Billboard GUIs
Though these provide the functionality I need, with a distance parameter, I would ideally like to refrain from using them as the current PlayerGUIs I am using give me a lot more control and are integrated with other parts of my code.

I also do not like bits of the player UI floating around inside workspace. (ik i’m very stubborn)

Though I may just have to just give in and use Billboard GUIs instead of re-inventing the wheel, any advice on making the Surface GUI approach more efficient would be greatly appreciated!

Bonus Question

Say I used any of the above methods and there were 100+ GUI buttons all with functions connected to their Clicked events. Would this largely effect the performance of users on lower end devices due to large memory being used?

1 Like

Wouldn’t region3 be better since you have nothing to do with the others as example if you want to Check the distance then compare if he can see it or no would require you to loop to every single point and not like region3.
That’s my point of view.